View Full Version here: : SBS 2 - 12noon tomorrow - fabric of the cosmos

simmo
11-01-2014, 11:49 PM
Heads up for tomorrow,

Hopefully it's a good view.

Simmo;)

astroron
12-01-2014, 01:00 PM
This starts in Queensland in a few minutes. :)
It is a repeat but a good watch.
Cheers:thumbsup:

astroron
12-01-2014, 02:00 PM
I enjoyed that.:)
It wasn't a repeat,well too me anyway.;)

simmo
12-01-2014, 10:49 PM
Yeah wasn't bad hey. Got lost a bit when they started talking about the 2d projection theory towards the end. I can understand what they are trying to theorize what's going on there but it's a little out there for me at least.

Found the pool table demo on why the planets and moons keep their orbits very interesting. Not sure if that was an oversimplification but kind of got me wondering about 3d distortion as opposed to the 2d that they were using. :question:

Also was very interesting to understand that space is not just nothing but is something in itself. It was kind of a light come on moment. Even as old as I am life still manages to capture your imagination.

Good viewing and don't worry if you didn't get it as it's a four part series with part two next weekend. Think it's main focus is on light.

Looking forward to it.

simmo
19-01-2014, 04:33 PM
Good viewing again today with pt 2. Sorry wasn't light but time.

Sad to think in the future the stars will no longer be visible on earth but glad we still have them today.
Cutting slices in time was interesting. Probably explains why during an event that it will seem very different to people witnessing even though the event was no different.

Next week is titled quantum leap. So maybe quantum physics?

astroron
19-01-2014, 11:47 PM
I forgot all about it :mad2:
I will have a look around to see if SBS will repeat program 2

rustigsmed
20-01-2014, 04:53 PM
here you go Ron

http://www.sbs.com.au/ondemand/video/24096323735/

:thumbsup:

astroron
20-01-2014, 05:43 PM
Thanks Russell:thanx:

simmo
20-01-2014, 11:41 PM
My wife and I were digesting the time program a little tonight and we were puzzled by something on the show. Brian at one point was talking about time speeding up as something travelled. To explain this he used a test carried out with an atomic clock that was put on a plane that went around the world. There was a clock based on the ground where the plane took off.
Upon landing at the airport the atomic clock in the plane was a few hundredths of a sec forward in time.

But this is where it gets tricky. Later on he also says that time slows down with the greater the gravity. Ie someone in tall building will have time running faster than someone living on the ground as the person on the ground is affected more by gravity.

So what's up here?

Is it that time is speeding up with the travel or because the plane is further away from earth and thus affected slightly less by gravity?

Splitting hairs I know or thousands of a second but it is still puzzling me.:question: