PDA

View Full Version here: : M56 (0.75) > 2" SCT thread Adapter .... Where art thou???

Kunama
09-01-2014, 04:13 PM
The mission:

Attach a 2" SCT (24TPI UNC) female threaded Baader ClickLock Eyepiece holder to the male threaded M56 (0.75) focuser on a Takahashi FS60CB

To do this I have come up with 3 options:
1. Buy a ready made M56 > 2" SCT adapter - unfortunately I cannot find anyone that makes it
2. Use an existing FS60CB Extension tube (which has an M56 thread) and cut it shorter and then machine a 2" SCT thread onto the outside of the cut end
3. Make a whole new adapter to suit

Any other ideas or perhaps a skilled machinist with a few spare minutes
( I can post an extension tube for the modification )

Meru
09-01-2014, 04:58 PM
I have a friend here who is most excellent as a machinist and can make just about anything you want. Very friendly and super cheap prices. I can send his details if you like :)

Kunama
09-01-2014, 05:35 PM
Thanks Meru, that would be great.
The pictured extn tube would need to be shortened 40mm and the remaining part of the narrower section then threaded to 2" 24TPI.

Dennis
09-01-2014, 07:57 PM
Are either of these Baader 2” to M56 Adapters any good?

http://www.baader-planetarium.uk.com/productinfo.php/accessories/adapters-rings-collars-etc/2-inch-clicklock-clamp-m56/4087

http://www.baader-planetarium.uk.com/productinfo.php/accessories/adapters-rings-collars-etc/2/in-four-in-one-clamping-eyepiece-adaptor/4127

http://www.teleskop-express.de/shop/product_info.php/info/p4374_Baader-2--Click-Lock-eyepiece-holder-for-Skywatcher-Celestron.html

Cheers

Dennis

Kunama
09-01-2014, 08:17 PM
Thanks Dennis, unfortunately they all have a 1.0mm thread pitch rather than the 0.75mm that Takahashi uses.

Dennis
09-01-2014, 08:49 PM
Here is a “Takahashi - 2" Compression Ring Adapter for Sky-90/FS-78/FS60-C Model#: TOA0060” which looks like it offers a 2” opening to a Tak FS-60CB.

http://telescopes.net/store/toa0060-2-inch-compression-ring-adapter-for-sky-90-fs-78-fs60-c.html

Cheers

Dennis

Kunama
09-01-2014, 09:17 PM
I saw that one Dennis, alas, it does not allow the for the ClickLock adapter.
Looks like I will have the make one out of my extension tube.

(I already have the ClickLock eyepiece clamps so just have to find a way to attach to the little Tak. I have the Mewlon adapters now from Hans T, strangely Baader make them for almost every scope but the FS60CB.)

Thanks for the research Dennis.

pdalek
09-01-2014, 11:18 PM
Several Vixen adapters have M56-0.75 internal threads. Might be worth a look on the Vixen website.

Dennis
10-01-2014, 06:47 AM
No worries Matt, your adapter dilemma piqued my interest as I have a Mewlon 180 and have spent hours chasing down adapters for it.

If you do get one custom made, you might call it the “Kunama” adapter” as there are Tak “Novoselsky”, “Feldstein”, “Brewer” and “Keitel” adapters out there, presumably named after their “inventors”.:)

They are all quite expensive!:sadeyes:

Cheers

Dennis

Kunama
10-01-2014, 01:42 PM
Thanks Patrick, no luck so far with the Vixens. :hi:

Dennis, the Baader-Kunama adapter won't happen overnight but it will happen !!!! :D

Barry, thanks for the PM reply here is another pic to explain a bit more:

The Baader ClickLock pictured internal thread is standard 2'' SCT and measures internally at 49.55mm

The middle piece is the Tak Extension tube which would be cut on the right side of the cable tie leaving about 12mm to the step up, that section is at the moment 52mm OD and 46.25mm ID

The ring on the right is a Baader part for attaching filters to the Eyepiece holder, it has the correct thread, measuring 50.75mm OD of thread.
This is the thread that the middle bit needs to end up, with the thread running from the right of the cable tie to as close to the step-up as possible.

Cheers,
Matt

Meru
10-01-2014, 01:54 PM
PM sent with details of the machinist, if you wish to pursue that path :)

Kunama
10-01-2014, 03:02 PM
Thanks Meru, by chance I found a machinist here in Canberra an hour ago who does this type of machining for the Army. ( I was in a queue at the ANZ bank and the guy behind me had Canberra Machining Company on his shirt)
I take your point about sending it interstate. Thanks anyway, much appreciated.

Kunama
23-01-2014, 07:28 PM
Thanks for all the suggestions,

The Baader-Kunama-Takahashi adapter is ready for its maiden voyage.

I ended up going with 'Option 2' The Takahashi extension tube is now a
M55.9 P0.75mm > 2" 24TPI SCT converter:

Thanks to Graham, at Canberra Machining Company, the Tak tube was cut 39mm shorter and a 24TPI 2" SCT thread cut with an undercut at the the step to allow full engagement of the thread. Anyone in the Canberra area needing any custom machining, Graham is happy to do small jobs like this at reasonable rates.

Finished setup, actually the modification is intended for white light solar with the Baader wedge.

LewisM
23-01-2014, 10:11 PM
Alas, this Takahashi non-interchangability is mainly what made me sell the FS60 I had.

Lovely little scopes, PITA with accessories. I ended up with Borg / Oasis bits on mine, and that saved a LOT of headaches.

There is a SUPERB machinist on IIS too - goes by the name Ubique. He has made me a LOT of odd and unusual pieces, to a supremelly high standard at a good price.

WingnutR32
24-01-2014, 08:39 AM
Nice work, Matt!

I find Canberra lacking in those machining skills, so it is great to know that someone is around. Well done.