PDA

View Full Version here: : "Beyond Earth" - a book by Paul Foley.

Paddy
28-12-2013, 09:59 PM
Paul Foley, passionate amateur astronomer from Bendigo (and a friend of mine), has been writing a piece for one of the local papers for years on matters mainly astronomical, but also on other aspects of science and occasionally society. Paul has now edited these and compiled them into a new and I think very entertaining book called "Beyond Earth". Paul has a great knack for communicating about science in a way that is both informative and entertaining.

The book starts with a chapter by Paul's 14 year old daughter about his astronomic obsession and the bizarre behaviour of a visual observer. It is a fantastic read in itself - very funny!

If you're very well versed in astronomical science, you may not learn much that is new from this book, but you might well find it written about in a way that you will like. If you're not so well versed it could provide a great introduction to astronomy. And some interesting snippets about genetics, biology and science history as well. I found that I not only learned quite a few things from the chapters that I've read so far, but I've had some good laughs along the way. A very enjoyable read.

The book is published by Bendigo Community publishing and costs $20 plus postage. Order by email to beyondearthbook@hotmail.com .

astroron
29-12-2013, 12:42 PM
Paddy, is that the same Paul Foley who lived in Queensland ?
Cheers:thumbsup:

barx1963
29-12-2013, 09:10 PM
Hey Paddy!
Thanks for putting us onto that. I will order a copy shortly.
How's the observing up there? Have had a couple of sensational nights down here and tonight is looking like a cracker.

Malcolm

Paddy
29-12-2013, 09:30 PM
Ron, I don't know if Paul has lived in Qld. He is originally from Bendigo I think, but I don't know if he might have moved away for a while.

Malcolm, Thursday night and last night were a bit windy and the seeing not so great - didn't even get the scope out last night as the wind was full on . Friday night was a ripper and tonight looks like some severe sleep loss. :)