PDA

View Full Version here: : gso skyview alt-az mods

omegacrux
26-12-2013, 07:55 AM
Hi all
I just acquired the above mount and it is a little bit sticky.
Just grabs a bit when you go to move it , so I was wondering has anyone pulled one apart and re-greased it .
Also can the head be adapted to a surveyor's tripod that I already have , for the extra height , a 8in extension is available but it is nearly $100 , bit rich
Any advice welcomed

David

omegacrux
26-12-2013, 04:34 PM
Figured it out just need to get a big allen key , looks like I will be able to fit to the surveyors tripod
That will give it a lot more hight
re lubed it , might just need using to bed in

David

John W
27-12-2013, 02:42 PM
Hi David, I have two of these mounts for my solar scopes and they work terrific. One was a bit tight but after a few weeks of use it has loosened up and is fine. Cheers.

omegacrux
29-12-2013, 12:51 PM
A bit of an update
Well I removed tha SkyView head and tryed to fit it to the surveyors tripod but the bolt wouldn't tighten up , due to the depth of the head been too deep .
And also there is a step in the base of the SkyView, so I needed a shim or something like that , so talking to my neighbour who is a woodworker .
We decided to sacrifice my nylon chopping board on his lathe , and voila a perfect fit .
The SkyView now sits perfectly on the survey tripod giving me another 600mm hight .probably more
So now can look vertically easy without laying on the ground
Fantastic

David