PDA

View Full Version here: : ROR Observatory (at Last)

ReaPerMan
17-12-2013, 08:41 PM
This has been a Gonna project for well over a year now. With the arrival of the EQ8 and 12" Newt it became a must. The plan was to convert my existing 3X4.6 Treco shed and to get half the roof to roll away. This would give me reasonable space for what I wanted to do. The project was constructed with Structural Pine as I'm not a metal worker and had limited time and funds. Typically Perth suffered with sweltering heat as i started the project and on at least 3 days it was hard to work more than a few hours before coming out of the sun. Still just a few fixings and some flashing left to do then a waterproofing check to hopefully avoid any disasters.

All the best

Paul

h0ughy
17-12-2013, 10:07 PM
like what you have done, just add some rubber stripping for a skirt and it will help seal it off a bit more. looks the goods

ReaPerMan
17-12-2013, 10:36 PM
Thanks David, I have the strips and I haven't had time to get them on yet. Looks like some rain on Thursday so I'd better get a wriggle on!

cohiba
18-12-2013, 12:47 PM
Looks great well done!

Tandum
23-12-2013, 02:12 AM
A real man would carry all that stuff out every night :)

Looks like you got it all cooking Paul.

Mighty_oz
23-12-2013, 09:40 AM
LOL. Not every real man is built like Mike :)

Astroman
23-12-2013, 11:29 AM
Nice work Paul, it's great not having to setup everynight. So glad I made mine also...

ReaPerMan
27-12-2013, 09:09 PM
Thanks very much

I applaud your stamina Robin and can only envy your example!

Very true

I have to still get everything dialled in but I'm really looking forward to it!

Astroman
27-12-2013, 09:13 PM
Same, I am in the process of doing plate solving using Astro Tortilla and EQMOD so it's taking time.

ReaPerMan
27-12-2013, 09:19 PM
Here are some construction pics for those that are interested.

1. Shed cleared out showing available space.

2. Roof off with the frame to hold it's shape commenced.

3 &4 Main support bearers in ready for ROR Frame and rails.

5 ROR frame with castor wheels mounted on rails, 20 mm U channel. Blocks on end are to stop the frame from rolling off. It was also necessary to glue in 9mm square dowels to ensure the wheels did not dig into the channel too far and get the right glide height. There is very little resistance and the operation is so smooth it's a one handed thing.

6. ROR finished, side skirts added.

7. front finished, filled needing sanding and paint.

8. Finished

ReaPerMan
27-12-2013, 09:21 PM
First Night in operation. No computer control, not ready to image just the Joy of having it working and some Moonage with a Mark 1 eyeball!

Thanks for looking

Paul

Astroman
27-12-2013, 10:50 PM
Looks good, well done with the construction. I hope you get many years out of it

alistairsam
28-12-2013, 01:44 PM
Looks great Paul
wont you need insulation especially with the Perth heat and the metal walls?

Cheers
Alistair

ReaPerMan
28-12-2013, 07:56 PM
Thanks Andrew

That's a good point Alistair and it is something that I have been keeping an eye on as ventilation is a big concern. With the mod that I have done I now have an under eves vent that is that is the entire width of the shed this combined with the three other grill/vents at the peak of the roof seems to be moving a significant amount of air and keeping it fairly cool. I will consider some polystyrene sheeting to the inside of the roof/walls to reduce radiant heat if the temp looks like getting too high.

All the best

Paul :thumbsup:

ReaPerMan
02-01-2014, 12:52 PM
Finally in Operation, First picture from the setup.

all the best

Paul :thumbsup::thumbsup:

guggle
06-01-2014, 04:37 PM
WOW! Love the first image - you gotta be happy with that!!

astronobob
14-01-2014, 04:26 PM
Well, Thats thinking inside the box Paul, no Floor pouring, no wall building etc, just a few mods and whella. Great consept and well done :thumbsup: :thumbsup: