PDA

View Full Version here: : Focus Motor Options

rogerg
17-12-2013, 02:14 PM
Hi all,

With the apparent death of my Orion Accufocus / Skywatcher motor focuser (see related thread just moments ago), I’m considering a replacement if I am unable to fix the current motor.

My 12” has had a RoboFocus unit running beautifully for 10 years.
Pro: It “just works”, is reliable and accurate.
Con: approx. $500 price tag and not so suitable to portable operation

What other options would people recommend? I want to canvas all the options available, not having looked for 10 odd years.

Requirements:
- Suitable to mount on a refractor (usual spindle scenario with one focus knob removed). It will be for my Megrez 90 refractor.
- Computer connectivity (Ideally FocusMax compatible)
- Hand controller
- Suited to permanent and portable operation (ideally a minimum number of boxes and cables, and not too fragile construction).

Thanks,
Roger.

Bart
17-12-2013, 02:34 PM
Just get the Robofocus again. You answered your own question-"it just works". And besides, it will fit anything. :)

rogerg
17-12-2013, 02:37 PM
:lol:

I guess you are quite likely right.

I was thinking maybe in the 10 years since technology may have moved on and there may be a better option for the $$$ ? :shrug:

Gruffalo
17-12-2013, 02:49 PM
The Sharpsky is BRILLIANT, and around the same price, but comes with more.

rogerg
17-12-2013, 03:04 PM
:thumbsup: will look in to it.

acropolite
17-12-2013, 08:35 PM
+1 for the sharpsky. My observations on the sharpsky here (http://www.iceinspace.com.au/forum/showthread.php?t=112059).

Bart
18-12-2013, 03:08 PM
Cannot see a huge difference between the two really, both deliver the same end result with a high degree of accuracy, depending on the actual focuser, they just look different.

As for the addition of the heater controller, meh, I already have a heater controller and the mount hub pro has heater controls as well as being able to communicate with a Robofocus unit and be fully automated still.

Horses for courses, I'm enjoying mine and you are enjoying yours, that is all that matters.:D:thumbsup:

rogerg
18-12-2013, 08:49 PM
Yes I agree, however the SharpSky does look nicely finished, more so than my RoboFocus, and so looks more portable friendly.

rogerg
31-12-2013, 02:47 PM
Btw, an update...

After suggestions below and PM'd to me the decision was between

FocusStarPro by Cercis Astro
SharpSky
RoboFocus

Before Christmas I ordered a SharpSky and am expecting delivery any day thanks to friendly, prompt and helpful service by Dave @ SharpSky. I'm looking forward to trying out a new focuser, see how it compares to the RoboFocus :)