PDA

View Full Version here: : Sine Wave Generator

Sarge
08-12-2013, 01:50 AM
I'm thinking about buying a sine wave inverter generator to power my laptop and mount out on site, I've come across these two, which are within my price range.

1.0KVA
- Brand: Power Force / ZX1200i- Fuel Tank Capacity: 2.1L- AC Voltage / Frequency: 240V 50Hz- Fuel Type: Unleaded Gasoline- Max. AC Output: 0.80kVA / 1.0kVA @ cos 0.8(800W)- Oil Capacity: 0.35L- Rated AC Output: 0.7kVA / 700W- Oil Type: SAE 10W30- Power factor: COSF = 0.8- Ignition System: T.C.I- DC Output: 12V / 4A (Including battery leads)- Starting System : Recoil- Continuous Running Hours: 4.5 Hours (100% load)- Noise Level: 53db@ 7m- Engine Type: Forced Air-cooled, 4-storke,OHV- Overall Dimension: 425 X 230 X 380mm- Engine Displacement: 40cc- Net Weight: 8.5 kgs- Engine Max Output: (KW / RPM) 1.0 / 5500
$259

or

1.9KVA
- Brand: Power Force / ZX2000I AC Voltage / Frequency- 240V 50HzMax. AC Output- 1.9kVARated AC Output- 1.5kVAPower Factor- COS = 0.8DC Output- 12V / 8.3A (Including Battery leads)Continuous Running Hours- 4H 20Min (100% load)Engine Type- Air Cooled, 4 Stroke, OHV, Gasoline EngineEngine Displacement- 72ccEngine Max. Output (KW / RPM)- 2.1 / 5000Fuel Tank Capacity- 3.6L
Fuel Type- Unleaded GasolineOil Capacity- 0.6LOil Type- SAE 10W30Ignition System- T.C.I.Noise Level @ 7m- 58dbPackage Dimension- 525 x 295 x 440mmWeight- 18.5 kgs
$329

Any recommendations?

Clear skies

Rod
:D:D

Allan_L
08-12-2013, 09:12 AM
I did not see anything to indicate that either was a PURE Sine wave generator (as opposed to a MODIFIED Sine wave generator).

They both appear to be good value for a Pure Sine Wave generator.
and both should provide sufficient to power just your mount and laptop.
If thats all you want, I'd probably go the smaller (Quieter) model.

But if you think you may later want to attach more... (eg dew heaters etc.), for a small increase, the extra power may be a worthwhile investment.

Personally, I feel a good deep cycle battery (I use a 30 amp hour) is a better solution, and buy the generator to recharge it after the observing session. You don't want to have to switch off to refuel halfway through a session. And its amazing how loud these can sound in the dead of night.

MrB
08-12-2013, 05:19 PM
All the petrol generators I've seen/owned were pure sinewave, it's just how they work (basically a very large alternator), I would be very surprised if a petrol generator with modified square output exists, makes no sense, but I'll eat my words if such a beast does exist.

Modified square Inverters exist, because they are easier/cheaper to produce, but that's not relevant to the discussion.

I personally ditched petrol generators about 5 or 6 years ago, solar all the way now, so much better and best of all, dead silent.

Allan_L
08-12-2013, 11:24 PM
Perhaps I am wrong, but this manufacturer seems to suggest otherwise:

Better to ask then assume anyway.

...except, by definition, solar power is only generated by day.
As astronomy is generally undertaken by night, this brings us back to needing to supplement the solar generator with (as per my above recommendation), of a good deep cycle battery.
I agree solar is the way to go, and this is what I use myself.
Just remember, a decent solar system will be twice the price of the quoted generators, not to mention another $300 for the quality 30 amp hour deep cycle battery.

Sarge
09-12-2013, 12:39 PM
Thanks Alan and Simon.

Simon, a solar power generator with a good deep cycle battery is an excellent alternative, but out of my current price range.

I have a couple of "jump starters" (1100 amp and 1900 amp), but with the computer, mount, camera and giuiding all running (even in eco mode) I get less than two hours of power.

Alan, I've taken your suggestion re extra power and I've done some more "research" and will probably go with this one. It's 3.4KVA, the quality seems a lot better and there are two 240v outlets, although it does have an unusual 12v outlet socket. They are a Melbourne dealer with a shop front - and FREE shipping. The only down side is the weight, at 27 kg.

http://www.toolhq.com.au/p-2098-nevada-inverter-generator-34kva-pure-sine-lcd-cover-light-silent-camping.aspx

Clear skies, merry christmas
:xmas:
Rod
:D:D

Pinwheel
09-12-2013, 01:52 PM
For Computers, TV's etc PURE SINE is a must. For lighting, bug zappers, pumps & motors etc a MODIFIED SINE will do.

MrB
09-12-2013, 02:30 PM
Aha yep, sorry, I failed to see the word 'inverter' generator in the OP.
I've not heard of inverter generators before so admit I'm out of touch with the new stuff and retract my comment.

All the generators I've owned(3) over the years were alternator type which are pure sine wave with no inverter. Honda was by far the best one I had.
I used these heavily(~8 hours) every day on building sites before on-site mains became the norm. Which was some time ago, technology has obviously improved since then.

Well obviously.
Being an astronomer with a portable solar setup posting in an astronomy equipment forum, storage is implied in my 'solar' comment, as a system.

It was the other way around for me, the generators I used were more than twice the price of my solar setup, but admittedly those generators were respected brand and chosen for reliability as an everyday workhorse. I was also fortunate in that all my solar gear was bought at staff discount pricing.

But yes I agree, these newer Chinese units would likely be cheaper than solar and perfectly fine for occasional use.

tlgerdes
09-12-2013, 09:38 PM
Having owned a couple of types of Chinese generators I can give me 2 cents with unbiased honesty :D

They work well, as long as you remember to change the oil every 50hrs or 6months.

The first one we didn't, lasted 12 months. The 2nd one we do, still going 3 yrs later.

Don't forget to factor in a 20m extension cord, power board and weatherproof power cable joiner/enclosure.

If it is just for yourself in the field get the smaller one, quieter, lighter.

Pinwheel
11-12-2013, 03:09 PM
I've got a 900 watt GMC four stroke that I bought 7 years ago. It gets used around the property for drilling holes, angle grinding and lighting when fishing. It still goes great & I paid under $159 from Bunnings back then.