PDA

View Full Version here: : RGB imaging with my dob and DMK21AF04

iceman
07-07-2006, 02:18 PM
Well last night was my first light with the full RGB setup.

I've got the Atik manual filter wheel, got a Mogg C-TF adapter so the DMK21AF04 could screw onto the front of the filter wheel, got a set of 4 baader filters (IR/R/G/B) from MyAstroShop and I'm ready to go!

Everything went pretty smoothly for a first night out, apart from the seeing. The conditions were terrible and so I used the conditions as a practise run, and see how much wobbling I get when I manually roll the filter wheel.

I was actually pleasantly surprised. I was quite worried how much time i'd lose changing filters in a short capture window for Jupiter. I really only lost 4-6 seconds when changing filters and waiting for the dampening to die down. I was expecting about 10 seconds so I was happy.

The planet wobbled itself back into the same spot in the FOV, so everything was good. On a night of better seeing i'll be ready!

Here's a picture showing it setup.

gbeal
07-07-2006, 02:32 PM
Looks good then. I see you have quiter a flexible firewire cable, the one I got is quite stiff, and can be a pain.
The 4 - 6 seconds isn't overly different from the motorized time.

ving
07-07-2006, 02:37 PM
which reminds me... i really have to reconnect my focuser motor :)

janoskiss
07-07-2006, 02:50 PM
I see that might be the Meade #140 barlow in the focuser. Are you imaging through that? How is it holding up? The one I ended up with is completely useless due to severe on-axis astigmatism. :( I use it as an extension tube sometimes (i.e. without the lens assy).

iceman
07-07-2006, 03:47 PM
Gary, I know what you mean about the firewire cable. Although it looks bendy in that shot, it's just bent. But it's bent stiff. They are very inflexible, especially in the cold and it's really annoying.

Steve, it is the Meade #140 barlow I bought off you. TBH it's only the second time I've used it. I used it last night imaging the moon because the seeing was soooo bad I couldn't use a focal length any longer than that. It seemed fine though, my image is in the solar system forum. Normally I use the 5x powermate or the 3x Antares, but couldn't use either of those last night due to the seeing.