PDA

View Full Version here: : EQ8 survey: Are you happy/not happy?

Star Hunter
18-11-2013, 02:33 PM
Since this mount is now gaining popularity, I'd like to know are are you happy or not happy with it and why and if you could tell Synta engineers what should have been added, removed or improved on, what would it be and why?

The reason I'm asking this is that Synta want to improve the next gen of EQ8's so feedback is important.

I have an EQ8 and while it has ~2 Secs. of b/lash in Dec the only two 'gripes' I have is where the locking handles are placed - so close to the Dec housing and both the Dec and RA housing are on both sides of the mount. One of them could have been on the opposite side which would help in balancing and those handles should have been large knobs.

Anyway, let's see what YOU think could have been improved on and why?

cheers,

James

Grimmeister
18-11-2013, 05:56 PM
Hi James,

Verdict is still out on my EQ8, I too have a declination issue with backlash and am in the process of speaking to Tasco about it to see what options there are.

I did a write up on the improvements I have found so far between the original release and the second batch of mounts here: http://www.astrophotography.id.au/sky-watcher-eq8-first-thoughts/

I can say that apart from the Dec backlash (and I am sure this will be fixed in time) that all other aspects of the mount are outstanding and I am very happy with it otherwise.

I will be keen to hear others input to your post.

Cheers

Anthony