PDA

View Full Version here: : Would like to buy a green pointer laser.

bloodhound31
09-11-2013, 09:32 PM
I've had one for years for astro-nights well before all the laws came in about them but it's just about stuffed now. Can hardly see it. I remember the beam being so much brighter when it was new. I heard the diodes do wear out eventually. Not sure if that's true or not but it seems to be the case with mine.

So, that being said, what do I have to do now to lawfully own one and where can I get one with decent power to be used as star parties in light polluted suburbia?

I need for groups of ten or so people to stand around me as a group while I point out constellations and features within.

Baz.

Stardrifter_WA
09-11-2013, 10:31 PM
Hi Baz,

I use the Arctic Fox myself and these are available in Australia from the following link. The are a weapon sight though and not the pencil type, but are limited to 5mW. They are excellent for mounting on a telescope with the additional mounting rail.

http://www.arcticfoxoptics.com.au/

Cheers Pete

Damienandwendy
09-11-2013, 11:49 PM
These guys sell a very similar item for a few dollars less:
http://www.telescopes-astronomy.com.au/green-laser-pointers-international-supplier.htm

As far as I am aware, in most states (or maybe just QLD), one of the ways of "legally" having a laser was to be a member of an astronomical society. The Townsville Astronomy Group decided to incorporate - this enabled us to be a formalised astronomical society and also gave us access to liability insurance. Group members on request sign a laser guidelines form which is then held in a register by the club secretary and get a membership card with a refererence number. Might be overkill, but as we were planning on more public outreach activities, we thought it to be a sensible way to go.

Cheers

redbeard
09-11-2013, 11:49 PM
I read this recently in an article from a magazine...

Jaycar sell the green 10mw modules listed in the 2013 catalogue. Buy a cheap red low power pointer and swap the module over or customise your own holder.

China also sell the modules a lot cheaper on Ebay... search for green laser module. Hint... get a friend who works in a scientific work place or university as the send address and hopefully customs wont intervene.

Sorry but cannot exactly remember the mag this info was in. ;-)

Make sure though you know what the laws are for your state. In some states, you need to be a member of an astronomical society or have a gun license.

Stardrifter_WA
10-11-2013, 01:31 AM
Typically, all the states have different laws.

I understand in Victoria you have to pay a licence, which I believe is pretty hefty, and in NSW you have to belong to an Astro club, yet another cost, particularly if you don't want to belong to a club. Fortunately, WA took a more sensible approach in that it is classed as a prohibitive weapon, rather than illegal weapon. That is, you have to have a legitimate reason for use, with Astronomy, being one of those. So, you do need to check the state law first.

I couldn't do astronomy without it, as I find using a finder difficult due to a neck injury. I usually only use it for set ip anyway.

nebulosity.
10-11-2013, 07:14 AM
I've built a few lasers now, and I reckon the cheapest and easiest way would to grab a laser module off ebay and mount it in your old laser body. They all use around about 3V. Never had any problems with customs, the package contents are always listed as electronic accessories. Would recomend around 30-50mw, I use a green 50mw for all my public viewing and it's perfect. The whole thing cost me only about 30 bucks to build :thumbsup:

Cheers
Jo

astronut
10-11-2013, 08:31 AM
As long as you are a member of an astronomical society, fill in the appropriate paper work from the police & customs, you can import a laser into Australia.

BUT, remember, paper work first or you will receive a nasty letter from Customs threatening you with a huge fine and jail, if your laser arrives first.:)