PDA

View Full Version here: : Sky Safari Pro slight problem

Kevnool
09-11-2013, 08:27 PM
Gday all I have sky safari on my S4 and while the southern sky from home here is perfect but the moon is not there and north is way way out.
Anyone had this problem.
I am going outside to play with the settings again.
The date and time are correct.

Any help will be appreciated.
Cheers

killswitch
09-11-2013, 08:43 PM
Is your location correct?

Kevnool
09-11-2013, 08:58 PM
Thanks Ed for the reply.
All is good it is one of those things where i dont know what i done but it worked.

Cheers

Regulus
09-11-2013, 09:20 PM
This happens in a few apps and needs the accelerometer and magnetometer etc to be shaken up a bit.
The recommendation is to hold the phone horizontal to the ground and draw a couple of large figure-8's.

Works for me with Google Sky and Skyeye apps

Kevnool
10-11-2013, 07:24 AM
Thanks Trevor for that.
I cant remember for the life of me but i had to calibrate my tablet with an app as you described and it may of been satellite safari but not sure.
Might try to find that app just to do that.

I did down load the GPS status app and it worked a treat.

Cheers

glend
10-11-2013, 12:48 PM
Sky Safari doesn't need to use internal tablet compass or movement sensors, if your interfaced through something like an Astro Devices Nexus wifi box, as all telescope movement and tracking is provided by the encoders mounted on the scope. It depends on how your using the tablet obviously - if your just attaching it to the scope and relying on the tablet internals to provide the position info then yes you need to be sure it actually has that capability and it properly oriented. Just attaching it to the scope will never be as accurate as interfacing to encoders - but it is much cheaper.