PDA

View Full Version here: : Difference between CPC Deluxe 800 HD and Celestron CPC 800 GPS XLT

h45e
03-11-2013, 10:01 AM
Hi,
I would like to know what is the differences between the Celestron CPC 800 GPS XLT and the Celestron CPC Deluxe 800 HD.

The HD one is $2k more expensive, is it worth it?

Thanks guys.

Rod771
03-11-2013, 10:38 AM
If your only using it for visual I would say its not worth it. The Edge HD OTA's , which is what the deluxe model has, were designed with astro photography in mind.

If you wanted to do astro photography the HD would be advantageous, however I would get a GEM mount model not the CPC. With the CPC you would need to purchase an addition wedge to get an equatorial alignment.

For visual the CPC 800 XLT would be great, they're a nice portable size and easy to set up. From a dark sky location the views through the 8 inch aperture are very good.

renormalised
03-11-2013, 10:58 AM
The difference between the HD and XLT models is the optics. The HD models have aplanatic optics which corrects for coma and reduces the spot size of stars over the FoV of the scope. So, when you look through the HD models visually, or when taking pics, the stars look pinpoint across the FoV and are not distorted in any way. The XLT model has ordinary SCT optics and is therefore not as well corrected for coma and such out to the edges of the FoV of the scope.

The Edge HD model is perfectly good for visual observations and is actually better than the XLT. The image tends to be a bit brighter and sharper because the optics are corrected for those errors that the normal optic are not. They're also excellent for astropics. The XLT model is also great for both visual and astropics, but not quite as good as the HD model. The main difference, apart from the optics, is the price. The HD model will be a little bit more expensive.

Both models need an equatorial wedge if you want to take long exposure pics. Unless you buy a derotator for use in alt-az mode. Neither need anything other than their alt-az mounts if you're just using them for visual obs.

If all you want your scope for is visual obs, either will do. It just depends on your budget. If you want it for both visual and pics, then the HD will be a better buy in the long run, but get it with an EQ mount. The really cool thing with both scopes is they're farstar compatible, so you can remove the secondary mirror and replace it with a hyperstar lens. Then you can take wide field piccies at around f2 with your scope...have a look here... http://starizona.com/acb/hyperstar/index.aspx

casstony
03-11-2013, 11:56 AM
If you were looking at the fork mounted HD, you might consider buying the OTA alone and putting the $2400 difference towards another mount which could be used for other tubes in future.
eg. Skywatcher AZ-EQ6 or T-Rex with Sky Commander.

Camelopardalis
03-11-2013, 01:13 PM
For visual only, the CPC is the better telescope from an ease of setup and comfort point of view. The Edge HD versions put up a more pleasing view of the target for sure. The vents on the side of the tube also help cool down a bit too.

Is it worth $2000? Hard to say really it's your money :D

I have the Edge HD 8 and AVX combo as the saving took priority. The AVX is light, easy enough to setup and gotos are generally very good. $4700 is a lot of money for an 8" scope. I already had an 8SE and occasionally use the Edge ota on the SE mount - it's under mounted, so needs a little care to use. The AVX is a much better match.

Before I had the 8, I'd bought the 11. This is a different scenario, but nights like last night I'd wished I hadn't skimped on getting the CPC version :( it rides well on the EQ6 but is a more effort to setup.

The dovetailed versions of the otas are just more versatile - and cheaper - if you intended to anything more than visual.

h45e
03-11-2013, 01:53 PM
I can get the HD version from America for the same amount of $$ for the Other one inc shipping.

renormalised
03-11-2013, 02:16 PM
Most overseas stores might sell you the OTA but usually don't sell complete scope/mount setups to international customers. For something like an 8" scope, you'd be better off just buying the complete kit from out here rather than sourcing it from overseas.

h45e
03-11-2013, 05:44 PM
Found a cheap Australia place

http://btow.com.au/telescopes/celestron-telescopes/celestron-cpc-gps-telescopes/celestron-cpc-800-gps-xlt-hd-edge-optics-goto

Camelopardalis
03-11-2013, 05:48 PM
Wow that is a good price :)

casstony
03-11-2013, 06:22 PM
If you buy there Anthony use a form of payment where you have way of getting a refund if things go awry. Some time ago there was a thread on IIS where they took a customers money but didn't deliver the goods.

http://www.iceinspace.com.au/forum/showthread.php?t=94475

raymo
03-11-2013, 10:37 PM
Casstony, before putting doubts into Anthony's mind, I suggest that you might have done just a little research. B.T,O.W. is not just some website
that appeared from nowhere. It is a long established stockist of Celestron,
Skywatcher, and other brands of scopes, as well as other optical
equipment such as microscopes. I have bought a lot of gear from them over the last 15yrs. and have always had great service. They have in fact been
mentioned favourably in several threads in IIS over recent months.
I agree that we need to watch out for scams and other rogue operators, but don't like to see doubts cast on a reputable business just because it
seems that you have never heard of it. They are probably the most
prominent dealership in W.A. Other than as a customer, I have
absolutely no connection with the company.
raymo

casstony
03-11-2013, 10:49 PM
Raymo, did you read the thread I linked to? perhaps the owner of the shop could respond here to put our minds at rest, explaining what went wrong and why it won't happen again.
Your post suggests that you did not read about the bad experiences in the linked thread.

raymo
04-11-2013, 12:08 AM
I didn't realise that I was supposed to read the link. Like one of the other posters, I am really surprised to read of this guy's problems.
I can,of course , only comment from my own experience. I have bought
two scopes and several other goodies from keith over the last couple of years; all by phone and mail, and two other scopes and lots of goodies
longer ago direct from the shop when I lived close by. The company
operates an observatory, and gives free tuition to it's scope buyers if
they want it. Keith is very knowledgeable, and nothing is ever too much trouble, having replaced a couple of faulty items immediately, and
without charging postage. I am mystified, and can only think that
something has changed since the company was apparently bought out
by another dealer. Sorry if I offended you.
raymo

casstony
04-11-2013, 08:59 AM
No worries, by all accounts BTOW are great to deal with in person but hit and miss at a distance. Personally I need to have a lot of confidence in a shop to send money 1000's of km, or have a secure means of redress if the deal goes south.

UniPol
04-11-2013, 11:23 AM
A very good price indeed. A well known Sydney telescope discounter advertises the CPC Deluxe 800 EdgeHD GPS XLT for $4699! One has to wonder if the BTOW price ought to be for the CPC 800 GPS XLT? Someone might have to be quick on this deal ;)

Camelopardalis
04-11-2013, 12:07 PM
The Deluxe 800 is US$2399 over at OPT, and I appreciate they won't ship over the big pond, but it's otherwise inexcusable for Celestron/their distributor to charge so much more here for what only has to come from China anyhow. If I were buying my scope all over again, it'd probably go on a more aggressively priced scope.

Regardless, it's sensible to purchase such a beastie using a credit card over almost any kind of distance so you benefit from the level of protection that affords IMO.