PDA

View Full Version here: : Skyscan alignment issues

Star Hunter
29-10-2013, 01:46 PM
From the threads I've been reading lately on CN, SGL and other forums re this issue, Synta have now asked me to become a Beta Tester for ALL upgrades of Skyscan firmware and possible SW products.

Naturally I accepted..! as I just want to be able to use my EQ6 Pro and EQ8 with ease, not having to down grade the firmware to 3.27 to get a better GOTO system.

It appears that 3.27 is far superior in the 1, 2 and 3 star alignment than the latest version and Synta are not only well aware of this problem, they are now onto it.

Synta said those who have a Skyscan can wind back to 3.27 if they wish and then when the new version comes out that has been B/tested around the world, you can easily upgrade to the newest firmware. It may be soon it may take a while, but I for one, will not approve anything that I don't like or it causes other issues.

But no matter what firmware you use, it is the degree of accuracy of the mount's PA, that will dictate the pointing accuracy in the GOTO mode. So much so, both my mounts can do up to 15 mins. unguided exp. for focal lengths up to 100cm.

James

rustigsmed
29-10-2013, 01:50 PM
Awesome stuff James :thumbsup: looking forward to the improvement in the EQ8 especially! Can you tell them to get rid of that polaris thingy for southern hemisphere users at the start too? :)

Cheers

Rusty

Astro_Bot
29-10-2013, 03:12 PM
If you're talking about the Polaris Hour Angle display, some people use that! It's good for using the RA setting circle to orient Octans correctly in the reticle. (Of course, it has to be polar aligned correctly the first time, and the RA setting circle adjusted and locked down, in order for that to work).

-------

There are plenty of threads on IIS about SynScan GoTo accuracy problems with v3.35 (the latest). I'm back on v3.27 myself.

rustigsmed
29-10-2013, 03:15 PM
Haha fair enough, although you have to press enter to move past it ... thereby entering a coordinate... :shrug:

Astro_Bot
29-10-2013, 03:26 PM
Enter or Escape to move to the next step, but it's just an info display - no data entered. I'm using an NEQ6 Pro, but I'd be surprised if it behaved any differently on an EQ8.

rustigsmed
29-10-2013, 03:29 PM
ahhh, cheers - haven't managed to use the scope for months due to sterotypical melbourne weather.