PDA

View Full Version here: : Thoughts about Tamron 10-22mm vs Tokina 11-16mm?

Shooting_Star
15-10-2013, 11:59 AM
Hi all,

Have been reading up on wide angle lenses and can't seem to find much in the way of reviews in the context of astrophotography.

They seem quite a lot cheaper then the Canon equivalent, which I'm not currently willing to invest in.

Has anyone used either of these and how have you found their performance? I notice that the Tokina seems to be quite popular among the astrophotographers I follow, but as there is still a bit of a price difference between this and the Tamron, I thought I'd see if anyone has experiences to share that will help compare between the two.

Many thanks :)

Irish stargazer
16-10-2013, 06:44 AM
I have the Tokina 11-16mm and it makes an very good wide field astro lens. Its pretty sharp too for daytime, especially if you stop it down a bit. Build quality is OK.

blink138
16-10-2013, 10:41 AM
have a look too at the samyang range romina
a few of our members here use them for widefield, though they are all manual focus i believe so a bit trickier for daytime photography but matters not for night
they have a 14mm f2.8 and a 24mm f1.4 (or other way around)
i have the 35mm f1.4 and i like it a lot
e-global seems to be a very good place for lenses and are the least expensive place i have seen on the net, just check the price of their shipping
pat

Poita
16-10-2013, 10:58 AM
I personally prefer the Tokina, but what is your main intended use?

Shooting_Star
16-10-2013, 11:22 AM
I was thinking mainly landscape astrophotography? Good if it can be used effectively in daytime too, but more for night shots.