PDA

View Full Version here: : Advise needed for Mak adapters please

starseeker
12-10-2013, 03:09 PM
Hi guys ,I’ve got a Skywatcher 150mm Maksutov Cassegrain, Black Diamond series ,Looking for an adapter to suit a dual speed focuser for a 8” SCT Meade , (I have a William Optics micro focuser to suit a SCT) the sizes are different at the back of these scopes, are there adapters available ?? or can I get an adapter made The thread at the back of the Mak has an approximate size of 66.5mm outside diameter, and the thread inside the sct focuser is approx 50mm, so I will need an adapter that steps down from this to suit this focuser. Any Ideas ???? your help with this will be much appreciated. Thanks regards John

MortonH
12-10-2013, 03:38 PM
Such adapters do exist, e.g.

http://www.astro-engineering.com/compatibility/skywatcher

The current Black Diamond models have a different thread to the old gold tube models, so there have been at least two different adapters made for the Skywatcher scopes. Make sure you order the right one!

Regards

Morton

starseeker
12-10-2013, 10:10 PM
Thanks for your help Morton, I've already bought an adapter, but proved to be the wrong one ( must be for the Pro Series ) you think there might be another one available ?? Be great if you could point me in the right direction. I've checked your recommended web site, but can only find the adapter suitable for the Pro series, your help is very much appreciated . regards John

MortonH
12-10-2013, 10:44 PM
Hi John,

I believe what you need is this:

http://www.teleskop-express.de/shop/product_info.php/info/p5622_SC-thread-adapter-for-Skywatcher-Maksutov-Cassegrains.html

A bit pricey but should do the job.

Cheers

Morton

MortonH
12-10-2013, 10:47 PM
BTW, I'm sure there are owners of the Pro series on IIS that will buy the adapter you bought already. Post an ad in the classifieds section.

starseeker
13-10-2013, 10:02 AM
That's the one I've already got, the one I need, needs to have an internal female thread of approx 66mm and then stepped down to an external male thread of approx 50mm. hope that makes sense, thanks for your effort and help Morton . regards John

MortonH
13-10-2013, 10:30 AM
Hi John,

Are you sure this is the one you have? It says:

... fits each Skywatcher and Orion Maksutov with male D=66,5mm thread

and

The adaptor will only fit on Skywatcher Maksutovs with the 66,5mm thread. These are the Maks originally supplied with a 2" adaptation.

starseeker
13-10-2013, 11:11 AM
Hi Morton,by looking at the photo of the adapter, it looks as though it will screw onto the back of my Mak with the internal thread of the adapter(66.5mm), which will leave the external thread exposed, which will be far too big for my focuser which has an internal thread of 50mm. make any sense?? or am I just confusing myself more and more. thanks for all your patience. regards John

MortonH
13-10-2013, 01:23 PM
Hi John,

The adapter definitely says it converts to standard SCT thread, which is what your focuser seems to be. Maybe the photo is of a different adapter. They also do one for the older Pro series so perhaps this is the one that's shown. Suggest you send them an email explaining exactly what you need.

Regards

Morton

starseeker
13-10-2013, 02:02 PM
I will try that, thanks heaps for all your help Morton

starseeker
13-10-2013, 02:19 PM
Hi Morton, I entered the part no on the net , and it showed me a picture of the exact adapter that I have been looking for. a very big thank you for all your help, very much appreciated. regards John

MortonH
13-10-2013, 02:57 PM
No worries. Let us know how it works out when you get it.

pdalek
13-10-2013, 05:43 PM
I can confirm that the adapter
Teleskop-Service SKM66-SC SC thread adapter for Skywatcher Maksutov Cassegrains
is the correct one.
The picture on the teleskop-express website is wrong.
I am using this adapter on my mak 150 and it works well.

starseeker
14-10-2013, 06:07 PM
Hi Patrick , thanks for that. I've already ordered that adapter, had to order it from the UK. might take a little while. thanks again regards John

starseeker
31-10-2013, 09:34 PM
Hi, guys, just to let you know that my adapter has arrived from UK, and works like a charm, no more image shift ! Thanks for all your help, regards John

MortonH
01-11-2013, 09:27 PM
That's good, John. :)