PDA

View Full Version here: : Advice on selling/swapping Tasco Astronomy Telescope 153mm - Help please!

Ood
01-07-2006, 10:05 AM
Hi everyone,

Apologies for the intrusion on your forum, but I really am running out of ideas.

My dad received a retirement gift in 2004 of a Tasco Astronomy Telescope 153mm (equatorial mount). Although an exceedingly lovely gift, he is a salty sea-captain more interested in checking out the ships at sea rather than gazing towards the heavens. So the telescope has sat in its box and never been used (a great shame, i know).

I would love to be able to swap with someone for a land telescope he could set up on his balcony at his beach house to watch the seas and pass the astronomical scope onto someone who would much more enjoy it. Otherwise I'd have to try and sell the scope, and I haven't had any luck with ebay or the trading post so far.

Any suggestions or advice would be greatly appreciated.

Many thanks,
Elly

janoskiss
01-07-2006, 11:32 AM
Hi Elly! :welcome: to IIS!

Don't be silly apologising! :P You've come to the right place - at least I hope we can help...

I guess the best thing would be to take the scope back to where it was bought from and exchange it for something more suitable. But it's probably too late for that.

Can you tell us more about the telescope and the mount? Maybe post a picture or two.

Dujon
01-07-2006, 12:13 PM
Elly, there are things called 'image erectors' around. I have no idea what they cost (probably too expensive) and I most surely do not know whether or not they would suit your dad's Tasco. A six inch telescope though should be a reasonable unit for terrestial use (maybe even a tad too large a unit).

While I cannot assist you with some sort of an exchange I wish you well.

g__day
01-07-2006, 12:42 PM
Isn't all he needs a 45 degree prism? What sort of attachments can go into his scope, or is it a fixed unit that can't be modified. The later would make greatly limit astronomical use.

[1ponders]
01-07-2006, 01:09 PM
Hi Elly, I gather you dad's scope looks something like this first scope. If so then yes it is going to be awkward viewing ships as the mount is not designed for that sort of viewing. I guess what you are looking for is something like the second scope. Or even a spotting scope, like the third photo.

janoskiss
01-07-2006, 01:17 PM
Well, one could use an erecting lens for terrestrial viewing, but if it's an EQ mounted 6" Newt (I assume it's a Newt) is not the most convenient scope for that sort of thing. And it will need special looking after by the sea, otherwise the salty air will probably eat the coatings off the mirrors pretty quickly.

Elly, IMO a refractor like the ED80 on an AZ style mount would be terrific for your dad. And could also be used with ease for star/moon/planet gazing. Would probably cost quite a bit more than the Tasco is worth though.

[1ponders]
01-07-2006, 01:20 PM
Or maybe even a little 4 or 5 inch mak on a fork mount ;)

Ood
03-07-2006, 09:09 AM
Thanks for all your comments. In truth, I haven't even seen the scope out of its box and all my dad tells me is that "it's big". I think it's just way too complicated for him to set up and all he really wants is a handheld scope so he can stand on the deck pirate-style!

janoskiss
03-07-2006, 09:17 AM
Maybe you can tell us what it says on the box/receipt/manual, if you want any more advice on selling/swapping it.

ving
03-07-2006, 12:18 PM
Arrr!
so, he be wanting a proper scope hey! well shiver me timbers, he be a real pirate then! :P

no need to apologise, all are welcome here :)
I am sure someone can help you out, but you might be better off selling rather than swapping and then buying a telescope of the type he requires.

welcome abaord. :)

btw, its not safe to metion pirates around here, it bring the pirate out in alot of us :)

Ood
04-07-2006, 05:51 PM
yar tis true, he be a landlubber!

The full name on the manual says its an Astronomy Telescope 153mm and that its a reflector type equatorial mount. It looks like the first scope as Paul pictured above.

This is all gobble-de-gook to me, but here's what it says in the manual:

Functions listed are: Main Mirror Secondary (Slanted) Mirror, High fineness Convex Reflective Main Mirror (Aluminium plated. Silicon protective film), Effective diameter: 153m/m , Focal length: 750m/m.

Accessories include: eyepiece - Plossi 9mm, Plossi 25mm;
Polar telescope;
6x30mm Finder; and
Moon filter

Equatorial mount includes: foil number of gear: 144, pole axis diameter: 30mm, Axis diameter: 7.5mm, Counterweight: 3.25kg/piece diameter of axis: 12mm and 2 sets of fine adjustment handles.

Plus the aluminium tripod.

I think it was originally around $1,500.00 2 years ago.

janoskiss
04-07-2006, 06:21 PM
It is a 6" f/5 Newtonian. If the mirror is parabolic, it could be a decent scope. It is almost certainly not worth anywhere near $1500 though. Guan Sheng GS-500 150 x 750 SV1 from Andrews for $500 would be a very similar scope. See: http://www.andrewscom.com.au/site-content-section-10-guansheng.htm
You would pay a few $100 more for a beefier mount.

So depending on the mount you could expect to get between $300 and $500 for the scope. Maybe a few $s more on ebay if a couple of bidders are keen.