PDA

View Full Version here: : 20x80LW collimation problems

Mick
30-06-2006, 09:36 PM
I ordered some 20x80LW binos this week and they turned up Thursday in the post, very good service I must say. I tried them out tonight on the Moon and was a little disappointed with them they seem to be way out of collimation although the focus was sharp. They are that bad that they make me dizzy after a few seconds of use. Both exit pupils look round that worries me. I pulled my Pentax 7x50's out to make sure it was not my eyes that were the problem, no not my eyes. Has anyone had collimation problems with these binos? I've sent an email of to the vendor to see if they can help.

leon
30-06-2006, 10:10 PM
Hi Mick

I cant help you with your bino's, but i just looked at your home page, through the link.

Very impressed indeed, looks great. :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

Leon

PS maybe your bionoculars got a good flogging through the postal service, their not real careful you know, anyway i hope it comes together for you.
Cheers...

Harpspitfire
30-06-2006, 10:39 PM
im not famaliar with that brand, but had the celestron 15X70- collimation was off because of the long delay in image merge- i just didnt like so i sent them back- i came across a no name brand called y&y- maybe tasco even made them- they cost me $80 USD, collimation was smack on and the images just snapped into focus, i realized after awhile i wasnt into big bino viewing so i sold them- but i would return them for an adjustment or exchange- uncollimated binos can be a real stress to use--unless your dealer pre-test them, be prepared for even multiple exchanges

Mick
30-06-2006, 10:59 PM
Thanks for your thoughts, I think that the RH prism is out of alignment as I said before the exit pupils look alright but looking through the objective and the RH side looks like a cats eye. You maybe right Leon the packaging was very good but fragile stickers mean drop kick to some. :)

Scoper
30-06-2006, 11:21 PM
G'day Mick

The misalignment problem with your new 20x80's may not be as big a problem as it seems. If you peel back the rubber on the top of the prism housings (facing the eyepieces) you will find an adjusting screw on both housings. Give these a tweak with a flat-blade jewellers screwdriver until the two images merge. From your description its the right side that needs adjusting but trial and error should fix it. I had the same problem recently. Hope this helps. (There is a pic of the collimation screws on--I think-- Cloudy Nights web page). Don't despair, I'm sure the vendor will make an exchange if this doesn't work.

Cheers mate

seeker372011
30-06-2006, 11:33 PM
if you really want to go through the hassle of collimating your binos (as opposed to returning them to your vendor), check this out

http://www.oberwerk.com/support/collimate.htm

now, I bought my 20 x 80 LWs from these guys years ago and am pretty sure they are all made by the same manufacturer..I just paid heaps more in those days :)

Narayan

Mick
01-07-2006, 12:14 AM
Thanks for the help you guys. This vendor is on the ball they have emailed me already with help. :thumbsup:

janoskiss
01-07-2006, 01:06 AM
Did you buy the binos from AOE? They have detailed collimation instructions for their binos. It's best to contact the dealer first if there is a problem - if you bought from a competent one that is... :whistle:.

Roger Davis
01-07-2006, 10:49 AM
Just be aware that there are binoculars and then there are binoculars.
Those with the collimation done by small screws in the housing are the cheapest of the lot. Consider what happens when you tilt a prism to incoming light, you get a spectrum (even in a right angle prism). This will put chromatic aberration into your image, elongate the image and give double images. There is more to collimation than just "tweaking" the prisms. There is leaning field, prisms are not perpendicular, or just not polished to the correct angle. Consider those prisms with the coll screws in the housing, you drop them you will either chip the prism or shear off the roof! New prism needed.
There is more to collimation than meets the eye!! :D

Mick
02-07-2006, 02:03 PM
Yes I did buy from AOE. These guys are a pleasure to deal with, a new pair are on there way Monday, I hope this new set turn up in good order, come on Aussie post. The first set must have had some rough handling on the way up, they are so far out I wasn't game to collimate. Maybe Roger is right something could be broken in side I don't know.

Mick
06-07-2006, 08:27 PM
Just an update, I received a replacement set of binos from AOE today they are great people to deal with. These 20x80LW binos are amazing for the money, I had a look at the Moon tonight and false color was almost non existent and stars are pin point almost to the edge of the FOV. Can't wait to get them on a tripod and take them to a dark site. :)

johnno
07-07-2006, 12:34 AM
Hi Mick,

I am glad you like the 20x80 LW,s,
I also have the same Binocular,and agree with your assesment of them,they are very good value for the money.

Also glad A.O.E looked after you,I would have been VERY surprised if they hadn,t
I have found them excellent people to buy from.

Regards.
John

Harpspitfire
07-07-2006, 06:28 AM
im glad they exchanged them for you, i agree with roger on bino collimation- if they,re new, im accept no less then a pre-tested collimated pair- sounds like you go the oberwerks, they,re a good deal company to deal with, i also like celestron considering the lifetime warrantee