PDA

View Full Version here: : SCP Alignment in reverse.

alandee
30-06-2006, 03:22 PM
Basically thinking out loud here, so feel free to compete with the other voices in my head :P

I've been trying without success, mainly due to the weather, to polar align my scope and stumbled across the current line of thinking ...

If the NCP is in line with the SCP, and I know my latitude and height of the tripod to the middle of the fork arms, and I was able to find some mathematical guru ( or ask one of my kids next time they are staying with me ! ) Am I able to plot a Dot on the floor at say 35 deg ( my latitude ) and triangulate distance to emulate the NCP to align on manually and then flip around and find the SCP ? Am I in need of professional help ? Would this be a bonus for all telescope users ? should I have kept this idea quiet and become a millionaire overnight using a sheet with tripod marks and a dot to align on ?

in short .. it seems like it might make things easier , but it's almost too easy, so can someone just tell me why this won't work please :)

Hmm, I've just gotten to the end of this and realised I might need a step ladder to see my dot, and would find focus next to impossible .. maybe align with my finderscope though ... ??:screwy:

[1ponders]
30-06-2006, 03:30 PM
I don't see you that is going to work Al. :shrug: You measurements would need to be absolutely spot on. Why not just drift align? Spend a night getting it as accurate as you can, mark your tripods feet placement on the ground, so that each time you come out your alignment should only need slight tweeking.