PDA

View Full Version here: : APO or LX200R

Adrian-H
30-06-2006, 12:40 AM
its allmost time for me to get an OTA, i would like to get one to start
eather a 80mm APO or LX200R 8"

i will be using this with my hutech 350d, i dont have money growing off me, but i certainly have the passion to go onwards with astrophotography.

options with the apo is the Orion ED80 allthough i would like a better focuser, ive been looking at the new meade apo, but personally i have no idea and i dont know anyone who dose!

in my mind i am swaying more towards a low FL APO, because, it seems easyer path and my knowledge of lx200r lacks!

The Question is which one First?

Any suggestions, or anyone want to convince me to buy a lx200r 8" before a low FL APO?

astroboy
30-06-2006, 06:31 AM
Hi Adrian
I think your on the right track with considering a small APO as a first imaging scope , the longer the focal length the more difficult it is to guide and with the 200R being very slow ( F10 ) makes for very long exposures.
You could look at some of the William Optics scopes that have great optics and nice 10/1 geared focusers.

But probably the most important thing is a good mount some thing like a HEQ5 or EQ6 sound good although may need some tinkering to get them peforming at there best and could handle a bigger ota latter on.
Whatever your budget spend most of it on the mount and you will have more luck with your imaging.

Thanks
Zane

[1ponders]
30-06-2006, 07:35 AM
Mount, Mount, Mount!!! Then the Orion and a small cheap refractor, rings and barlow for a guidescope. Once you have exhausted the possibilities of that set up in about 50 years then it could be time to think about upgrading. :P

Striker
30-06-2006, 11:00 AM
The 80ED is a great scope to start with and later on you can use at as a guide scope for your massive 16"RC on the paromount ME mount....lol

If you start imaging with the 8" LX200r your going to need guiding and a nice accurate mount....with the ED80 you can get away with a lot more before you need to guide.

Robert_T
30-06-2006, 02:11 PM
go the little apo, they look to do amazing things and likley to be a lot less frustrating... :)

gbeal
30-06-2006, 05:57 PM
80mm for me as well, but try to get the Flourite one(s).
And if the budget is real tight, look at Daves EQ5 in the Sellit section. Not a Losmandy, but at the price a steal.
Ultimately though the bug will bite real hard, and you will need a real good mount, but what has been suggested will set the hook.

xelasnave
30-06-2006, 06:50 PM
Mount is so important, does not matter what scope if the mount really works, but believe me and the others an 80 is the go, 80 triple on a good mount produces shots like you wont believe.. I find wide field very satisfying because it makes my mount perfect it is fun and I get satisfying results, well they are done with the standard canon 300d lens.. you could do worst than a good mount, guide scope/capture scope (80mm) and only the camera. I found one can get a 200mm or 300mm lens for the canon under $400 maybe you already have a 300 lens if you got the 350 + lens pak.
What people dont say about the mount is the slightess imperfection ruins a photo I used to think it was over the top but its simply a no compromise necessity. If I could sell all and start again it would be exactly as suggested here.
alex

Adrian-H
01-07-2006, 05:39 AM
yeah i will go for a apo like my orginal idea's and just focus on geting imaging underway, thank you all for your helpfull suggestions.

i like the look of the williams optics and the focusers on them are nice, how well do the wiliams optics megrez fluorite and zenithstar perform, compared to the Orion ED80? that zenith star looks small

I have another question to bring up? which software for the dslr? from my researching, my mind sways towards ImagesPlus.

how will i go about buying a modified shutter release cable for DSLR to PC, or i can just make one myself with alittle guidance?

any suggestions here in this department!

Thanks!

i would probly put the 12" newt on the paramout to start! :D

astroboy
01-07-2006, 06:18 AM
Hi Adrian
The williams triplets seem to be excellent had a guest here with the 105 F7 triplet and said it was better than his old Tak FS102 and olny costs $2.5K , further down the track you may want to get a good field flatener / reducer for which ever scope you choose.
I guess its where the usual 80mm F7.5 Apos end up costing more than you think people often upgrade the focuser and buy a reducer/flatener and that will about double the cost , depending on the quality of couse.
I think its called Haps cables for the DSLR to serial cable OPT sell them and Images Plus seems to have a good following.
Do you already have a mount?

Zane

Adrian-H
01-07-2006, 07:04 AM
yeah, a heq5
i would probly rather just go 80mm around 1k, its probly best if i try not to spend to much
i may as well just get the 80ED