PDA

View Full Version here: : iOS 7 thoughts

mithrandir
19-09-2013, 09:04 PM
Having updated my iPad - but not iPhone - I find the new flat style rather boring.
Any other opinions?

rogerco
19-09-2013, 09:11 PM
Oh please don't tell me Apple is now copying Windows 8 :(

ourkind
19-09-2013, 09:16 PM
What do you mean by flat? I might wait and see my work mates iphone tonight before I am converted by the iOS Cyber-men. Guess eventually I will need to comply.

tlgerdes
19-09-2013, 09:30 PM
There is always the bin!;)

mithrandir
19-09-2013, 09:32 PM
Flat as in the icons are much plainer.
I've already got one app that wouldn't upgrade until I installed iOS 7.
One thing I found almost immediately - you can turn on auto install for app upgrades.

BlackWidow
19-09-2013, 10:05 PM
I don't mind it. I like the multi tasking changeover. Runs smooth and faster than ios6. Did have some trouble with updates to start with, but it seems to have sorted itself out. It has a clean look about it, but time will tell if any bugs show up. So far it seems pretty good, but does use up more space on your device. Near 3 gigs,,,,, that's a bit harsh on a 16 gig ipad..

My thoughts so far

Mardy

netwolf
19-09-2013, 11:36 PM
The multitasking seems to be very similar to what was in WebOS, all thats missing is the angry birds sound effects when flicking an app to close. Disappointed a little with the look and feel, i guess got used to the more traditional icons and and layouts from previous versions. Now there seems to be more similarity to Android/Windows 8 look. I like the distinguished Apple look better. I use all three and all have there pros and cons, but i think the look and feel of the older IOS was better. Sure the improvements are nice but they do seem to borrow from other systems.

Only have it on the IPAD so far have not tried on the wifes iphone 4s yet.

Wavytone
20-09-2013, 08:55 AM
Waaay too much white, letters are impossible to read in bright light and this is going to be a huge problem at night as it will ruin night vision.

Enabling bold fonts helps but this doesn't take apply on the keyboard unfortunately.

Definitely snappy, and finally Safari when going to the previous page just redraws it (fast) rather than reloading it (slow).

Disappointed but I'll stick with it, I hope someone finds a way to re-skin it.

Octane
20-09-2013, 04:43 PM
I've gotten used to it already and think it's nice.

I did prefer the old design as Fahim said above, it's what kind of set it apart from the other mobile operating systems.

H

multiweb
20-09-2013, 05:28 PM
:lol::lol::lol:

AdrianF
20-09-2013, 07:52 PM
Initially don't like but will get used to it

Adrian

Camelopardalis
20-09-2013, 09:28 PM
Maybe we should campaign for a night mode? I find the all white Safari overwhelming.

Bassnut
20-09-2013, 09:33 PM
Smartest idea ive seen for at least an hour, or a year, which ever is longer.

Nico13
20-09-2013, 11:18 PM
On the 4S and the iPad mini now and I like the extra features such as the multi tasking and the flick to close apps and also when you double click to go to another app it also shows the app you were just using so you can close it if you want.
Definitley don't like the lolly pop flat icons for the system icons it make it look like a cheap games machine. Much prefered the more ditinguished look as well and yes to be able to choose skins would be great. Fonts are very fine so it looks slick will have to see how that goes under different lighting conditions.
No colour in Safari looks a bit bland and different icons again, just take a bit to gest used to it I guess.
Will have to lobby Apple to give you the option of the look you like.
I think the new look is aimed at the kids not old farts like me, doesn't mean I don't like the technology though, just love the technology.

One last thing it seems to have killed my battery today with not much more use than usual. Will have to keep an eye on that as it's at low battery now and I'm still at work for another two hrs. Just as well I have a charge lead.

Octane
20-09-2013, 11:34 PM
Ken,

Go into settings and disable background app refresh. That will ape your battery if left on.

H

ourkind
20-09-2013, 11:44 PM
Tried the bin but it spat it back out ...

Now I've been coverted and assimilated - Here's a handy article with 16 tips for the new iOS7

http://www.heraldsun.com.au/technology/smartphones/things-you-didn8217t-know-about-ios-7-apple8217s-new-operating-system/story-fni0c1du-1226722793040

2stroke
21-09-2013, 02:11 AM
Seems like a andriod scheme they ripped off, looks like a cheesy win 8 tile thing happening as well. Lol lucky my wifes they only one stuck with one.

tlgerdes
21-09-2013, 06:17 AM
Seems as though it is not as polished as a usual Apple product. Prepare to upgrade again in the next few weeks.

http://www.zdnet.com/uk/apple-ios-7-flaws-oddities-and-mistakes-7000020940/#photo

AdrianF
21-09-2013, 08:30 AM
I have just noticed that the home screen appears to "float"
I have a background picture of the Milky Way on my phone and have noticed the background picture seems to move in relation to the icons just by rocking the phone backwards and forwards.
Hope this makes sense.

Adrian

Octane
21-09-2013, 11:03 AM
Adrian,

Yes, that's the parallax effect. You can disable it in the accessibility settings, if you like.

H

Camelopardalis
21-09-2013, 12:32 PM
Just noticed that it isn't exactly white, it's translucent...as is the dock :D

AdrianF
21-09-2013, 01:17 PM
I kind of like it. At first I thought I was seeing things.

Adrian

AG Hybrid
21-09-2013, 06:09 PM
Parallax effect aye. Well it was only a matter of time before they copied it from android or whatever. Anyway. Guess there's a update waiting for my ipad then.

BlackWidow
21-09-2013, 10:10 PM
What does that setting do Octane?
:question:

DJDD
21-09-2013, 10:22 PM
page no longer available...
search on zdnet page shows the link but the link also does not work.
:lol:
did apple have a word in someone's ear at zdnet?

Nico13
21-09-2013, 10:22 PM
Thanks for the info but.
Turns out I had left my wifi turned from doing the download of ios7 and unfortunately it still doesn't show this on the home screen when you're not in wifi range and that's what killed the battery.

Octane
21-09-2013, 10:58 PM
Background app refresh allows apps such as weather and stocks (and, other third party applications) to load/refresh automatically while they're not the focus on the screen.

Turning this setting off, preserves battery life.

H

mithrandir
30-09-2013, 09:15 AM
When I said there was an update to iOS 7 coming shortly I thought it might have been even earlier than today.

My iPad tells me 7.0.2 is available.