PDA

View Full Version here: : 2013 EPSC London

Quark
17-09-2013, 07:52 PM
Hi All,

Last week the 2013 EPSC (European Planetary Science Congress) was held at University College London. One of the research teams that I am involved with presented a Saturn paper which I was co-author of. Along with our abstract we had a poster which was on display for the week. We presented our work on the recovery and tracking of the dark vortex that was spun up in the turbulence behind the head of The Great Storm of 2011. We also presented our work on the most recent SED's outburst along with our ongoing study into the rotation rate of the Saturn North Polar Hexagon.

FWI have attached a link to the pdf of our poster, it is 33 x 48 inches, I have had it printed & framed to hang down stairs in my observatory. Must say I get a kick from seeing the listed affiliations from the prestigious professional institutions and right along side them an amateur from Broken Hill Australia. Normally I go with the ASNSW Broken Hill Australia but I see they only included the ASNSW this time.

I couldn't go to London but another amateur I know, Manos Kardasis, sent me a photo today of our poster with the lead author, Marc Delcroix along with Padma Yanamandra-Fisher & Georg Fischer missing were Leigh Fletcher, Kunio Sayanagi & myself.

Saturn continues to throw up really interesting stuff and it certainly keeps my brain active being involved in these research projects. I hope to come up with a very accurate rotation rate for the Saturn hex over the next few years.

http://www.astrosurf.com/delcroix/doc/Delcroix%20M.%20et%20al.%202013-Saturn%20Northern%20hemisphere%27s% 20atmosphere%20and%20polar%20hexago n%20in%202013-EPSC2013-1067.pdf

Regards
Trevor

Dennis
17-09-2013, 09:00 PM
Hi Trevor

Thanks for the very interesting post and news about your Saturn activities, it was a real shame that you were not able to attend.:sadeyes:

I still haven’t figured out when, or if, you make the time to sleep by the way!;):)

Cheers

Dennis

PS – your Saturn image in the pdf gives the Pic du Midi image a good run for its money!

Quark
18-09-2013, 12:59 PM
Thanks Dennis, its been a busy year for sure. Guess, given good seeing, we can compete with data from the larger observatories such as Pic du Midi.

During the EPSC my data also featured in a couple of other papers to which I have attached links.
Agustin Sanchez-Lavega etal presented a paper " The Long-Term Rotation Period of Saturn's Hexagon" in this paper Agustin used polar projections from Damian Peach and myself to illustrate his paper.

http://meetingorganizer.copernicus.org/EPSC2013/EPSC2013-170-1.pdf

Marc Delcroix & R. Hueso presented a paper"Jovian Impact Flashes Detection with DeTeCt Software"

I ran 2424 avi's through the DeTeCt software which was by far the largest contribution of data to this project. I throw nothing away and have a massive amount of data stored, about 15Tb.

http://www.astrosurf.com/delcroix/doc/Delcroix%20M.%20and%20Hueso%20R.%20 2013-Jovian%20impact%20flashes%20detecti on%20with%20DeTeCt%20software%20pro ject%20%28abstract%29-EPSC2013.pdf

Dennis
18-09-2013, 03:55 PM
Thanks Trevor – I hadn’t quite realised how recent (Voyager 1980-81) the discovery of the Hexagonal feature was.

Good to see an Australian Amateur at the top of the “DeTeCt” project Table – well done, there must be a medal, or Knighthood in there somewhere.;):)

Cheers

Dennis

nebulosity.
20-09-2013, 11:25 AM
+1:thumbsup:

Jo

PeterM
20-09-2013, 01:12 PM
Just sensational Trevor. Inspiring work indeed and I salute your efforts and recognition. But in reversing the words of the great man himself - the late great Sir Patrick Moore - anything closer than the LMC is a bit to close for me....

Derek Klepp
21-09-2013, 10:31 AM
Great work Trevor if you ever get into Solar with a larger Ha scope you,ll never sleep.

Shiraz
21-09-2013, 06:31 PM
well done Trevor - great to see your efforts recognised. regards Ray