PDA

View Full Version here: : Looking at buying a Lunt 35t ha solar scope

Darth Wader
11-09-2013, 01:55 PM
After a long hiatus I'm finally getting back into astronomy, and one of the main things that has brought me back is the prospect of sungazing. I'd been viewing Sol with Baader film for around 18 months before and now want to move up to Ha viewing. The Lunt is more appealing to me over the Coronado PST - somewhat due to price, but mainly because of the reputation Lunt enjoys. Can anyone vouch for the 35t?

Cheers
Wade

ZeroID
11-09-2013, 02:13 PM
Can't vouch for the 35t but have to say I'm very happy with my Lunt 102mm f7 ED scope. Very solid and excellent optics IMHO.

Larryp
11-09-2013, 02:20 PM
I don't know about the 35, but I have a Lunt 60, and it is very well made-very happy with it.

brian nordstrom
11-09-2013, 02:57 PM
:) I like Laurie and Brent cant vouch for the lunt35 but I do have a Coranado SolarMax 40 ( not a PST ) and the views of the sun it gives of the sun are really good for only a 40mm scope .
I have heard the Lunt 35's are just as good , but be warned !!! , Ha solar observing can get real addictive , real fast ;) .

But for the price I thing the 35mm is a bargain .
Brian.

frolinmod
11-09-2013, 03:23 PM
If you can afford it, I'd recommend the Lunt LS60THa/B1200CPT over the Lunt 35. The 60 has better resolution, a regular focuser and with a B1200 blocking filter has a wide field of view and is easy to to imaging with should you eventually get into that.

Stardrifter_WA
11-09-2013, 08:09 PM
I saw several Lunt 60's at Stellafane in Augsut and although I was impressed, I think the better option is the Lunt 80 Pressure Tuned. I am now considering going down the Ha path myself, but I wouldn't look at anything less than the Lunt 80, but, of course it costs a lot more more.

Really comes down to how much you can afford to spend.

Cheers Peter

brian nordstrom
11-09-2013, 08:25 PM
;) Welcome back Peter , missed you .

On the Lunt , I see the aperture thing is happening here ,,,, you dont need 60-100mm 's because the sun is plenty bright enough , for sure :thumbsup: .
You dont need 60-100mm's because you are viewing during the day , and what 's the buzz ? .. a smaller aperture cuts thru the bad seeing like a knife , and it dont get any worse than 10am in the morning , now don't it ?? :shrug: .

I can see plenty with my 40mm SolarMax all day long by tuning for either surface or limb detail , its a trade off .
You can use a computer to squeeze the last bit of detail out of a Lunt 150mm Ha solar shot (s) $$$$$ , or enyoy seeing it :question: in real time , I like the latter thank you very much , especially a gianormous filiment over a few hours ,, sweet!! .

My 5c .

Brian.

frolinmod
12-09-2013, 05:43 AM
Oh sure, the Lunt LS80THa/B1800/PT/FT/DSII is even better. No doubt about that. Just whip out that credit card.

Strawb
12-09-2013, 08:31 AM
Until recently I had the LS35 dlx - beautiful piece of work and works perfectly for visual. Proms and surface detail easily seen. Came with a 12mm but my LVW8mm works perfectly. I only sold it to save up for a larger Lunt - one day soon I hope:)

Merlin66
12-09-2013, 05:25 PM
Wade,
The PST still has a lot going for it....and it can be modded to almost any aperture.
The 35mm Lunt is OK, it has an external etalon.