PDA

View Full Version here: : Extracting 3D objects from photographs

RickS
11-09-2013, 12:50 PM
This is very cool:
http://petapixel.com/2013/09/09/type-3d-manipulation-software-future-photo-manipulation/#more-122333

pluto
11-09-2013, 01:09 PM
Very cool!
It's not going to put me out of a job (yet) but it looks amazing for quick adjustments in 2D, in fact I could have used that a lot this week...

rally
11-09-2013, 03:06 PM
Thanks Rick,

That's very cool.
I wonder what the transport/export options are for the finished 3D models - that could have lots of useful applications in my field !

gary
11-09-2013, 09:01 PM
Thanks Rick,

I routinely use 2D images as the basis for creating 3D CAD models so this is
very impressive indeed!

RobF
11-09-2013, 09:18 PM
Sure is impressive. Thanks Rick.
Thought you might have been going to show some clever new way of rendering nebulae in 3D?! :)

RickS
11-09-2013, 09:51 PM
Not me, but have you seen the work of J-P Metsavainio? http://www.astroanarchy.blogspot.fi/search/label/animations

RobF
11-09-2013, 10:15 PM
Yep. Veil is an absolute CLASSIC! :thumbsup:

multiweb
12-09-2013, 07:21 AM
Very impressive indeed. The video makes it look very easy. I wonder how practical it is in reality. Most parts are figures of revolution or extrusion around a path at different scale so I get the object detection to some extent but texture mapping is another deal. You can't make up faces you don't see. I'm not talking about background image, just mapped surfaces.

Barrykgerdes
12-09-2013, 08:37 AM
Yes the video looks good but like Marc says you can't display information that is not in the picture. It should be able to construct a more complete 3D image from two separate views taking more of the actual surfaces.

If you are interested in 3D displays download and install QB64gl. The latest version has the source code (in basic format) to create 3D displays and samples. This will allow you to make your own 3D from png images

Barry

RickS
12-09-2013, 09:03 AM
No, it's clearly just a proof of concept and you are correct that it can't create information that doesn't exist in the original image. I still thought it was interesting and may lead to useful stuff.

BASIC :eyepop: Didn't they manage to stamp that poor excuse for a programming language out yet? :lol:

Barrykgerdes
12-09-2013, 09:25 AM
BASIC is a simple language to learn and use. It is still used in many places for simple computing by people who have not learned the higher level structured languages. 64 bit computer O/S's don't allow BASIC or programs compiled with the BASIC compiler. QB64gl reads BASIC code and transforms it int C++ routines that are then compiled with gcc and OpenGl to make programs that will run seamlessly in DOS, Windows, Linux and Apple. It also has many new commands that provide the graphics capability that was the main drawback with GBasic and QBasic.

It may not be as sophisticated as C but rubbishing it is to your own loss

Barry

RickS
12-09-2013, 10:07 AM
The smiley indicated a somewhat tongue in cheek comment but there is some truth in it, IMHO. Most dialects of BASIC are not well suited to building substantial software systems. C is pretty crap for large scale development too.

I have no interest in having a religious war about programming languages so I'll shut up now apart from quoting one version of an old chestnut for comedy relief:

RobF
12-09-2013, 06:27 PM
:rofl: :lol: :thumbsup:

troypiggo
12-09-2013, 09:23 PM
Classic! You forgot:

Malbolge:
You shoot yourself in the ('&%:9]!~}|z2Vxwv-,POqponl$Hjig%eB@@>}=<M:9wv6WsU2T|nm-,jcL(I&%$#"
`CB]V?Tx<uVtT`Rpo3NlF.Jh++FdbCBA@?]!~|4XzyTT43Qsqq(Lnmkj"Fhg${z@>

RickS
12-09-2013, 11:02 PM
I only know one person masochistic enough to program in Malbolge. Actually, he's not masochistic. He likes to see others suffer when they have to maintain his code, so I guess he's sadistic.

astronobob
14-09-2013, 09:57 PM
Hey wow Rick, that link is stupendious :eyepop: Thanx for posting. And an interesting thread also :thumbsup:

Incredible animation, when click on the image and opens a new window, it rotates back & forth with amaizing integrity, it is mind-blowingly brilliant, mind you, it took 4mins to load, but who cares when you see it :poke: :2thumbs: