PDA

View Full Version here: : basic power lead query 240V to IEC

graham.hobart
09-09-2013, 01:35 PM
:thumbsup:I have a camera that came with a British type three pin plug on it that goes into the back of the transformer from the mains outlet. The lead on it is rated 240V at 1amp.
Can I replace this with an Australian type power lead 240V plug to IEC socket?
Reason I ask is the lead I have (from the local shop) is rated 240V at up to 10A max, I don't want to fry the camera by accident.
Cheers for helping me with my basic lack of knowledge!!:thanx:
Graham

Camelopardalis
09-09-2013, 06:12 PM
Just to clarify, the transformer has the IEC socket on one side and then output to the camera from the other? The output is likely DC not 240v AC.

British plugs are fused, that's the main difference, besides the chunkier pins and the way the point ;)

ZeroID
09-09-2013, 07:36 PM
Yep, no problem. 240 vac is 240 vac in any country. A lead is just a lead, the 10amp is max rating, the transformer will only draw what it needs.

Barrykgerdes
10-09-2013, 03:52 PM
As already mentioned the English power plugs are fused and I would assume yours is fused at 1A. The transformer probably does not have a fuse but should be OK. However if it has a place for a fuse make sure you use a 1A fuse. If you are worried about transformer safety it may pay to use an Australian to English adapter and thus retain the fusing feature of the English plug.

Barry