PDA

View Full Version here: : GSO 12" Dob - First Light (for me!)

Eyebee
26-06-2006, 09:22 PM
Have recently taken over Frogman's cannon & ammunition - it will henceforth be known as Kermit the Kannon. With little chance to do more than a quick assmbly and daylight test, I headed inland to Kulnura (Mangrove Mountain Pony Club) last Sat pm for an experimental look.
Initial reaction - paddock very good, great visibility, good car access, no pony poop (except where I parked , of course!).
Everything fits in the car easily (X-Trail) with just the smaller rear seat back folded down. Assembly easy in the dark. Collimation needs fine adjustment, OTA balance needs work, because of the variable size EPs.
Plenty of light from 12" mirror, need to learn mirror-reversed navigation, more work needed on position of constellations, must wear warmer socks.
Have some ideas already for personalising Kermit.
All in all, a reasonable first night. Next - a trial at home - fairly dark location - but naturally we've had showers or thin cloud. Is this some kind of retribution from SHMBO?
To the others on the night - thanks for the welcome. There will be even more questions next time.
Ian

wavelandscott
26-06-2006, 10:04 PM
Congrats on the "new" scope.

I hope ou get much enjoyment from it!

astro_nutt
27-06-2006, 09:36 AM
Congrats Eyebee!!...long live Kermit the Kannon!..may all it's views be rebitting!!