PDA

View Full Version here: : Camera Kaput

Sarge
03-09-2013, 08:48 PM
During last night's photo session my Canon 60D failed - totally. :mad2:
I had completed 20 subs and 20 darks on NGC 253 (sky was clear but a little hazy), no problems everything worked like a charm. I was using BYE on the laptop to control the camera, prime focus on my 127ED. I went to take a number of flats, switched the camera to AV mode and the laptop lost coms with the camera. Checked all cables and connections, all AOK. Took another look at the camera - no power. It was switched on, but not working. Quick charge of the battery (although I knew there was over 50% charge left) - no change, camera would not turn on.:shrug:
No matter what I tried, the camera would not turn on - just no power.
I only purchased it 12 months and 5 days ago, so the Canon warranty finished - 5 days ago!!
Luckily I took out an extended warranty (further two years), so I lodged a claim today. Now waiting on a call from repairer to send the camera.
Hopefully I haven't fried it too much. I did notice when I took off the lens that the mirror was down in front of the chip.

I'll just have to settle for observing for some time.

Clear skies

Rod
:D:D

sil
05-09-2013, 12:05 PM
Any sign of possible condensation at the time?

I've seen similar behaviour with other cameras. Taking out the batteries and memory cards and leaving the camera for 5min fixed them. The mirror being down seems to indicate there was an error the camera encountered (it will flick it back and drop out of live view). The error might get "held" in memory while there is enough power left internally.

You could also take out the battery/memory card and remove the lens and take a good sniff into all the holes you can and see if you can smell anything burnt, get a torch too and look as best you can for scorch marks.

Very probable though the USB is the cause. Voltage levels on USB ports, especially laptops, tend to be dodgy and the crappy USB cables most devices come with (which means everybody is using them) often make flaky connections with ports and the connectors are poorly connected to the wiring of the cable. So it may have sent a spike into the camera if the camera/cable/laptop was moved slightly. USB damage I've seen with devices tends to be limited to the serial circuit close to the port so if there is damage it should be isolated, and the sensor is safe. But if its the case they'll have to replace the entire board the USB is a part of, they won't just replace the damaged component.

Hope its something trivial.

jjjnettie
05-09-2013, 12:47 PM
Sorry to hear of your loss :(
I hope it's repaired swiftly so you'll be back imaging again soon.

Sarge
06-09-2013, 05:02 PM
Thanks Sil,

There was some dew around, but I had put a cloth over the camera and although damp it was not wet. I did remove and replaced SD card and battery (several times), but no change, I'm afraid I have fried some part inside.

I was using a powered USB hub for the first time (instead of my normal hub), which may have caused a spike, but I hadn't moved or fiddled with the camera before it "expired".

Its gone off to the repairer today - here's hoping!!

Clear skies

Rod

Sarge
06-09-2013, 05:06 PM
Thanks JJJ,

Sent it off to the repairer today. Rang TNT express Freight (prepaid freight) and it was collected within half an hour. Its off to Adelaide for repair. Hope its fixable!!

Clear skies

Rod

raymo
07-09-2013, 06:14 PM
Just a thought for you. You are not necessarily limited to the 12 month Canon warranty. There is such a thing as an implied warranty. When you pay good money for a quality item, you are entitled to expect a reasonable
lifetime from it. Approach Canon through the retailer you purchased it from, and if you get no joy, go to Consumer Protection in your state.
Provided the camera was not damaged by a voltage spike, or some other external factor such as dew, I think you stand a good chance of winning your case. You can google implied warranty for more information.
I hope this helps you.
raymo

2stroke
07-09-2013, 08:51 PM
They will just send you a new one out more then likely so its a win for you just the down time sucks :) Not powering on is pretty strange though unless the hub did kill it, they usually pop an error code other wise. Hope the turn arounds fast and you get it back quick, clear skies :)

Sarge
12-09-2013, 11:22 AM
Got an e-mail from repairers to say 5-12 working days to fix the camera. That's sounds like good news - its fixable.:2thumbs:

BUT included in the e-mail was a request for $28 for "excess freight". The item was free freight if under 3 kgs (it was less than 1 kg) and measurements of the package not to exceed 65 cm (w+d+h). I read that as each measurement not to exceed 65 cm, BUT it actually meant the total measurement of all three sides not to exceed 65 cm. The box I sent was a little less than 30x30x30 cm.

Reluctantly I paid up, hoping no further expences. :prey:

Clear skies

Rod
:D

luigi
12-09-2013, 01:17 PM
Many 60D and 60Das are faulty. There're many reports about failures like yours and mine. My 60Da suffered the same fate and was repaired by Canon.

I believe it may be a grounding issue where the USB port is not well grounded. This usually happens when the camera is USB tethered to a laptop and the laptop is connected to 110v/220v.

Sarge
29-09-2013, 03:54 PM
Camera arrived back on Thursday.
:2thumbs:
All fixed and seems to be working fine. Haven't had a chance to remote it with the scope yet, but will do so as soon as the skies clear.
Even though it was repaired under warranty, it still cost me $28 for excessive freight (box was too big) and $86 for lens clean (not covered under warranty).
According to the paper work they replaced:

"C/O REF DIG PWB W/REMOTE SET UP" :shrug:

Clear skies

Rod