PDA

View Full Version here: : Best mount for TAL 200K and 8" Dobsonian combo

swannies1983
25-06-2006, 10:02 PM
So here is what I have got and what I am planning on doing:

1) I have an 8" Dob
2) Recently picked up a secondhand TAL 200K OTA
3) Now am looking for good quality mount to use with both OTAs
4) I'm primarily interested in viewing and imaging of the planets and maybe some bright DSOs. However, I'm not ruling out future imaging of DSOs
5) I have been imaging the planets using my Dob + Toucam combo
6) I was thinking that I would use the TAL to image the planets and then use the Dob to image DSOs

So I'm up to choosing a mount. The EQ6 is out due to cost and portability. I have been informed of a number of choices including a HEQ5, LXD-75 and GM-8. All of these mounts should be OK for visual purposes with the TAL 200K but would probably wouldn't be suitable for imaging DSOs with a TAL (this is not a problem as I plan to use the 8" Dob for this). I wouldn't really want to pay anymore than around $2,500 for the mount.

Therefore, what do people think would be the best mount out of the above mentioned (or any other suggestions) so that I can use it to hold the TAL 200K for primarily visual and planetary imaging and also to hold the 8" Dob and use this combo for DSO imaging?

Thanks

Astroman
25-06-2006, 11:22 PM
You could always have the NON-goto version of the EQ6 its got the Syntrek controller, same electronics and motors as the goto version only it doesnt have the goto functions and autoguiding. I am looking into a mount for a slightly higher payload but reasonable cost, so if it were me I would go the HEQ5 or the GM-8. I have heard great reviews on all mounts which makes it hard.

Roger Davis
26-06-2006, 10:23 AM
You oughta drop a line to Bert (avandonk) he has a TAL200K on an EQ6 I do believe. He's just fitted it with Astromecchanica drives.