PDA

View Full Version here: : Practice and more practice ...

Jon
23-08-2013, 09:17 PM
I am slowly getting the hang of the processes involved, I think. This is a plectrum of Antares that I took on 4/8, processed in VSpec then imported into RSpec as I enjoy the graphics :-). I was quite pleased with the match between my spectrum and the M2i reference spectrum. 5.2A/pix is oversampling for the SA100 resolution, but I took this before I understood that.

I have two good spectra of Nova Del, one from 15/8 12 hours after discovery, and one on 18/8 when the Hydrogen emission lines had dropped to their lowest point. I'll process them and post them, again just part of the learning curve (I'm fascinated by the Hi-Res spectra of this nova being posted on the Yahoo spectroscopy group). Sadly, my camera developed a fault on Sunday and is in for repairs.

Is there anywhere one can download others' raw spectrum images to practice calibration, correction and to experiment with some of the tools in VSpec?

sil
27-08-2013, 06:17 AM
I'd be happy to get something like that, I'm still wrestling with capturing a decent spectrum with my refractor (they always come out fish shaped with only one part in focus).

There's been plenty of raw images posted here I'm sure you could grab and play with. I'm still working through several books and rarely get scope time but when I do I like to do some spectrum captures and just tuck them away for a rainy day when I have the time to process. Getting a clean and level spectrum for me is still a challenge so its all practice.

Jon
09-09-2013, 09:38 PM
Here's a spectrum I took of Uranus with the SA100 mounted to the front of a 50mm DSLR lens. I know I need to divide the spectrum by a G2V spectrum, but to be honest I found it quite interesting to pick out some of the solar absorption lines amid the Uranian methane bands.

Merlin66
09-09-2013, 11:31 PM
Jon,
Well done!
Some good work there...
If you can get your hands on a 85mm lens, the results are worth it.

Re Sample spectra - I had a "starter package", but to be honest it is superceeded by Richard Walkers spectral Atlas - the various spectra can be cut and pasted to allow you to process and then compare results.
http://www.ursusmajor.ch/astrospektroskopie/richard-walkers-page/
(down the bottom rhs for the latest version)

Sil,
The "fishtail" spectra is due to the chromatic aberrations of your telescope..find "best" focus using the Balmer lines of an A type star and process the result. Re-focusing to improve the resolution is required if you want to record in the UV or nir.