PDA

View Full Version here: : Diesel generator advice Please

Brettstar6754
20-08-2013, 04:14 PM
Hello savvy equipment buyers ,
I need to buy a generator for remote use (Lightning ridge) both with sensitive astro and computer equipment as well as some welding and jackhammering.

Can anyone reccomend a good experience with big generators?
At times I will need to draw up to 5000W
Looking at this one on eBay but am more than a little worried about it being a fake.http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/NEW-Fuji-Micro-7-5kVA-Diesel-Inverter-Generator-Silent-Portable-Camping-Fishing-/130935160469?pt=AU_Hardware&hash=item1e7c57fe95&_uhb=1

Does anyone know about Fuji Micro? any reviews?
thanks, Brett

Larryp
20-08-2013, 04:42 PM
AGR Machinery have been selling these generators for quite a few years, and I have not heard anything bad about them-I believe they are a chinese generator, but everything comes out of China these days anyway.
I have purchased stuff from AGR before and have had no problems.:)

gregbradley
20-08-2013, 06:50 PM
My Honda 2000iu generator starting blowing smoke. I bought a 3.2kva generator that was a Chinese knock off. It broke down 8 or 9 times within 1 year. It was about 1/2 the price or less of a comparable quality Japanese brand.

I wondered why the pullcord kept breaking. I opened it up once. The metal guide looked ok from the outside but it was as rough as anything inside with jagged unpolished edges.

Also the exhaust pipe had a little metal gauze bolted on. If you took it off it caused little backfires so it was designed to increase exhaust backpressure. If you left it on after about 50 hours it became clogged and caused the gen to falter.

The power was a bit dirty as well despite being an inverter. The TV would give noise patterns using that power at times.

I got a Yamaha after that and its reliable and clean.

Greg.

cfranks
20-08-2013, 10:10 PM
I bought a 4KVA 3-phase generator 3 years ago from AGR Machinery but it couldn't cope with the start current from my 2.5KVA Lathe. They offered full refund but I changed it for a 6KVA ( with a discounted price adjust) and that has been running my lathe and Bridgeport Mill ever since. Only one purchase from them but they were helpful and responsive so I was happy.

Charles

acropolite
21-08-2013, 07:25 AM
Welding and jackhammering are probably too big an ask for 5KVA. Might be worth looking out for ome of the combo welder generators second hand, look on ebay or gumtree, I think Lincoln are one brand, don't expect cheap or portable though.

Bunnings also have AEG diesel 5KVA generators. These generators are also made in china but to AEG's specs, I seem to remember doing some googling and finding favourable comments. The plus with Bunnings is that if there are problems you have no problems with warranty.

tlgerdes
21-08-2013, 08:20 AM
We have had 2 Chinese generators in the last 5 years, first one lasted 14 months, that current one has been going 3.5 years. The mistake we made with the first was not keeping an eye on the oil. They are sensitive to oil viscosity and cleanliness. We change the oil twice a year now, and check volume every 20hrs of runtime.

We only use ours once a month for about 8hrs a time. Ours is a 3kva petrol.

georgio829
18-09-2013, 09:07 AM
bought 2 x 2.5kw chinese generators from agrmachinery & never started then till 14mths after purchase as i had them in storage, 1st generator lasted 40hrs then main bearing on the end of alternator disintegrated, 2nd generator lasted approx 150hrs then some electrical problem rendered item useless, i am careful as regards running in & changing oil in new engines, contacted agrmachinery & was told since warranty had expired after 12mths... 'tough luck buddy'...draw your own conclusions...:(

CDKPhil
18-09-2013, 09:54 AM
Hi Brett,

I operate an opal mine north of Lightning Ridge.

I use a 7000 watt diesel generator for my setup. It is a twin cylinder Ruggerini motor with a Dunlite alternator. It is air cooled and weighs around 100kg.

I would recommend you go to the Dunlite webpage and have a look.

I have had a cheep Chinese generator before and I would not have one ever again.

My Generator cost around $7000 give or take a few hundred. I figured it is worth paying for something reliable especially when you are out in the bush.
It has not missed a beat.

One thing to be mindful of, make sure the generator has a minimum 30% loading when it is running. If you run a diesel generator without load, the cylinders will glaze and the unit will not last very long.
If I am not using the generators full capacity, I run a 2000 watt motor to load it up.

Cheers

Phil

Joshua Bunn
18-09-2013, 04:06 PM
Also, you said you will need to draw about 5 Kw, just ensure this includes reactive power draw and not just real power. Some motors will be 0.75 Kw rated (real power) for example but actually draw 1.25 Kw (apparent power) for example due to the power factor of the equipment.

HTH, Josh

GrahamL
19-09-2013, 11:26 PM
They aren't fake, just average or less quality.

We ran two big Honda petrols and one Subaru diesel for many years without a problem, Someone where I work now bought one of those e bay cheapies a year or two back and while its done almost no work I swear theres a whining bearing somewhere in it .

Worth keeping an eye out second hand for something like Phils got
they do show up now and then .