PDA

View Full Version here: : SXVR M25C: Are they any good?

Star Hunter
09-08-2013, 03:35 PM
Hi guys,

Anyone ever had dealings with tbis one-shot-colour (OSC) camera?

If so, what was your opinion of them and do you still use it and why?

How easy is it to convert a mono pic into colour, using the SX software anyway?

I'm asking all these questions because I'm tossing up which way to go: CCD - OSC, mono with FW or stick to a Canon 60Da.

I use a C14 fastar and have nice dark skies.

Thanks,

JaBar

pluto
09-08-2013, 04:08 PM
Not sure about the SX software but to generate a colour image from a mono camera you need to acquire multiple images through different filters and then use those images as the colour channels of a single picture.
As a very simple example if you take 3 images, with a mono camera, through a red, green and blue filter then make a single image where the red channel is the red image, green channel is green, blue is blue then you're creating a colour image.

rmuhlack
09-08-2013, 04:25 PM
can you even use a filter wheel with a fastar? surely the wheel would get in the way?

el_draco
09-08-2013, 04:46 PM
Filterwheel/hyperstar not really recommended for the reason mentioned.
Better to use a filter draw but you'll need the correct spacer. Starizona has just released their own version. Benefit of hyperstar is that you can do short exposures so you can image multiple targets in one session, switch filters and keep going.

I'd go mono if you can deal with the fiddling of working with multiple images/channels and combining them. Lots more options available

SX cameras have a small profile an hide behind the central obstruction so there is little light loss. They're well suited to this kind of setup.

My 2cw

LewisM
09-08-2013, 05:00 PM
See your other thread JaBar for my response about SXVR-M25C