PDA

View Full Version here: : planetary nebula M 1-41 ?

Shiraz
29-07-2013, 05:17 PM
I mucked up aligning the EQ6 and it didn’t take me to the PN that I intended to image. However, there was some Ha nebulosity where it ended up - plus what looked like another PN in the field of view. I was interested in the possible PN, but had only a general idea where the scope was pointing, so decided to take some images and try to identify the contents later on.

The resulting attached image 1, scaled by a factor of 0.33, shows the context of the object of interest (on the right hand side and just above centre). Image 2 is a heavy crop, showing the object and surrounds at the native system scale of 1.17 arcsec/pixel. The region is the Eastern end of the M8/M20 complex, including NGC6559, IC1274 and IC1275. The bright spot I had thought might be a PN was identified by a number of sources as galactic nebula GN 18.06.6.01

But naah…., that thing really looked a lot like a PN to me (eg NGC6302), so kept looking. A web list of known PNs identified M 1-41 as being at ~the same location and a search on M 1-41 found a paper (Astrophysical Journal) that dealt with the chequered history of the classification of M 1-41 and made the case that Spitzer thermal imagery of the object showed that it is indeed a PN. The IR image from that paper (page 20), although from a quite different spectral region, shows a lumpy core and a large (>3 arcmin) bipolar lobe structure. I think that it is convincingly similar to the second image posted below - which shows the core and possibly the closer parts of the rightmost lobe.

Am now satisfied that I got a Ha PN image after all and that GN 18.06.6.01 and M 1-41 are probably one and the same. There are not all that many PNs and it's nice to find that this is probably another one that is close enough to image.

Thanks for looking. Regards ray

ref:http://iopscience.iop.org/0004-637X/745/1/59/pdf/0004-637X_745_1_59.pdf

EDIT: found this NB image of M 1-41 - this is what I imaged and it is the object that is also known as GN 18.06.6.01 http://www.astro.washington.edu/users/balick/PNIC/PNimages_by_galcoord/006.7-02.2.M1-41.jpg