PDA

View Full Version here: : Shoestring GPUSB

EzyStyles
20-06-2006, 12:16 PM
Hi Guys,

I want to look into the autoguiding port for my EQ6 mount and try to use the DSI as an autoguider. Came across the GPUSB unit. Does anyone have any experience in one of these? how accurate and good are they?

http://www.store.shoestringastronomy.com/images/gpusb.jpg

I will also need the software guidestar v1.1 to emulate my EQ6 as an LX200?

cheers

h0ughy
20-06-2006, 12:57 PM
when you buy in Eric let me know how it goes!

Astroman
20-06-2006, 01:34 PM
I too would be interested in the GPUSB, I have heard that it works great with such programs like K3CCD and Guidedog. I would be interested in how much it actually would cost to get it over here, or if there are any sellers of the system in Australia.

Rigel003
20-06-2006, 01:47 PM
I bought one recently but am still in the process of choosing a guidescope to complete the setup. The shipping cost was negligible and service was very efficient. As far as I know there is no Australian supplier.

Graeme

EzyStyles
20-06-2006, 02:30 PM
Will do houghy. I have placed an order for one ;)

There are no Australian distributors on these little device. They are $55 US + additional $5 us for shipping & handling. Came to a total of $65 US. Doh and conversion rate have gone down .71 cent per US dollar :(

Striker
20-06-2006, 04:33 PM
I have been using this one from shoestring for autoguiding....works perfectly.

http://www.store.shoestringastronomy.com/gpint_pt.htm

I also have the Shoestring USB shutter control that operates my DSLR..again..works perfectly.

EzyStyles
28-06-2006, 01:50 PM
just came in the mail today the GPUSB unit. was fast. okk.. so what do I do with it and what software will i need? :shrug:

Silly question, i don't need a guidescope right? :help:

too new to it all...

Striker
28-06-2006, 02:38 PM
Umm...yes Eric you will need a guide scope....what were you thinking.

You can use your current scope as a guide scope but what will you use for imaging...lol

You dont need and drivers/software for the hub but you do need guiding software which is plentyful.

I'm not sure what your trying to achieve Eric.

EzyStyles
28-06-2006, 02:44 PM
:eyepop: :eyepop: Thanks Tony. The way i understand is this unit emulates the EQ6 into thinking it is a LX200 then i use the DSI envisage program to track a bright star so i can guide and image at the sametime?

Striker
28-06-2006, 03:12 PM
As fas as I know the DSI can not image and guide at the same time....actualy I'm almost positive...please correct me someone.

The Sbig camera's have a duel chip that does this but I have never heard the DSI capable of this.

I cant imagine a single chip camera being able to guide and image at the same time.

EzyStyles
28-06-2006, 03:14 PM
Not a good drawing but so my setup should look like this?

Striker
28-06-2006, 03:21 PM
Simple drawing but yes unless you go for a duel chip CCD camera then you wont need a guide scope but the camera will cost you well over $5000.

EzyStyles
28-06-2006, 03:29 PM
thanks for the clear explaination Tony. A very expensive hobby indeed :( i guess i can correct the PEC now that i wait to use it. So any small scope refractor will do? What F ratio refractor should I be going for? . seems like everyone including you uses an ED80 for guiding?

cheers

Dennis
28-06-2006, 03:29 PM
Tony is correct. SBIG dual chip ccd cameras have an imaging chip and a separate guiding chip.

Some Starlight Express ccd cameras interrupt the imaging process and then do a quick burst of auto guiding then go back to imaging and so on, with the result that an exposure takes twice as long.

The DSI, LPI, Orion Star Shooter, ToUcam, etc are single chip devices and can either image, OR guide, but NOT both.

Cheers

Dennis

Harpspitfire
29-06-2006, 07:28 AM
hi, new guy here with no experience either- LOL, but i think any cheap ST 80mm would work fine as a guide scope- the webcams are fairly high power, i see you mentioned an EQ6, isnt that more an ascom platform? you may need the ascom 4.1 and ascom driver instead, the GPUSB didnt function with my CG5, but the GPINT did- i didnt have any luck guidedog- 2 other free programs look good are guidemaster (info is in french) and startrack- if i ever did this figured out ill probably go with either of the last too freebies i mentioned- john

Striker
29-06-2006, 11:23 AM
Ezy....if you want a cheap 70mm Refractor I have one that has been used about 2 times for guiding...It only cost me $120 from Star optics a couple of months ago and can be yours for $75 plus postage if you want.

This is it but without the mount.
http://www.skywatchertelescope.net/SK709EQ2.html

It's knowwhere near as good as the ED80 but if your after a cheap solution to part of your problem I'm happy to pass this onto you.

[1ponders]
29-06-2006, 11:29 AM
Eric, just about any small refractor will do for guiding as long as you can achieve focus with the DSI. You main issue with a guide scope will be aligning it with a guide star while keeping your imaging subject centered on your DSI II chip. That is where adjustable guidescope rings come in. There was a thread recently on making guidescope rings that could give you some ideas

gbeal
29-06-2006, 11:36 AM
Can it be done with a StarMate mate?
http://www.2fdesign.co.nz/astronomy/starmate.htm
After all we all know who makes these??

EzyStyles
30-06-2006, 02:02 AM
Hi and welcome to IIS John :) cheers and thanks for your reply. Will try other software.

not sure if the EQ6 is an ascom? what happen with the GPUSB with your CG5 ? they didnt communicate?

EzyStyles
30-06-2006, 02:05 AM
Cheers Tony. Will consider your scope and thaks. does it come with the rings and how would i mount the guide scope?

EzyStyles
30-06-2006, 02:10 AM
thanks Paul. so with autoguiding it has to be from a bright star? can't do any star? good idea with adjustable rings. How big do they come in?

[1ponders]
30-06-2006, 03:48 AM
It doesn't need to be a really bright star, you can use any star as long as your guidecamera can see it clearly. Avoid optical doubles if you can.

Losmandy rings come in the range of 90mm, 108mm, 125mm and 160mm so I imagine other brands would be similar. If you are handy with a welder and a drill you could make your own. This page (http://www.losmandy.com/secondary.html)will give you an idea of what your after. Or have a gander at Andrew the Astroman's homemade set (http://www.iceinspace.com.au/forum/showthread.php?t=11070)

Harpspitfire
30-06-2006, 07:04 AM
eric, thats exactly right- no communication- however,i do have a serial port of my computer- if i didnt have this i would of had to get a serial to USB adaptor-- if i ever get a chance to try this out, ill be more specific with what i did to get it all working- i think you might need bnoth ascom files though- check out guidemaster and startrack thoughm they both look relatively simple-- you still need the drivers though, you can get the links from guidedog-- theres also a GPUSB and GPINT test you can download to check out mount compatability

EzyStyles
01-07-2006, 02:22 AM
thanks for the links Paul. really helped me out there. Would happen to know where to get them here in Aust?

EzyStyles
01-07-2006, 02:27 AM
Hi John. With my setup, I can get connected fine with Guidestar with Virtual Serial Port and my EQ6 mount through the GPUSB but I don't have the ASCOM driver installed. your CG5 mount should work well with the GPUSB unit also. How do you go by connecting the GPUSB up?

cheers