PDA

View Full Version here: : do you need to have a dew heater on a hyperstar?

h0ughy
18-07-2013, 09:45 AM
trying to make sure i have everything for Astrofest, but i do have a question, do you need to have a dew heater on a hyperstar?

Star Hunter
18-07-2013, 11:24 AM
David,

I have a new Hyperstar on my C14 and you don't need a dew heater. What you do need is a Kendrick warmer wrap around for the scope and a lenshood. I went to Clarke Rubber and got some 3mm black compressed foam and cut a piece about 12" long wide and wrapped this around and over the heater. This setup will keep the corrector plate and the H/optics dry.

multiweb
18-07-2013, 11:25 AM
You'll need a dewshield to minimise dew on the corrector.

h0ughy
18-07-2013, 11:32 AM
ok i have a dewstrap and the dewshield specifically for the hyperstar so i should be ok then - thanks guys

Poita
18-07-2013, 01:26 PM
Oh, and do some sort of testing at home before you go, the Hyperstar is great, but quite fiddly the first few times out. Especially with collimation and cable management.

h0ughy
18-07-2013, 01:50 PM
umm well that may not happen until i get there:help: but i am reading up on everything i can:thumbsup::lol:

multiweb
18-07-2013, 01:55 PM
As discussed don't stress too much about the collimation bit. You'll find that the dewshield will probably be enough because the air generated by the TEC fan on the camera will circulate warm air in front of the corrector and should keep it dry.

Poita
18-07-2013, 02:23 PM
I find that the dewshield along with the fan on the back of the camera keep the front plate completely dry, even on very dewey nights.

I am using quite a long dewshield (home made) though.

Really, the cable management and layout is the thing that took me the longest to get right with the hyperstar, it is all hanging out there at the front of your scope, so you want to be comfortable with that. Easy enough to try in the loungeroom.