PDA

View Full Version here: : Video Astronomy Question

glenc
13-07-2013, 10:05 AM
I am thinking of buying a Skywatcher Black Diamond Flex-tube 10" "Go-To" Dobsonian and a
Samsung SCB-4000 Box Camera 1/2" to use for video astronomy.
Is this a good idea? Can I get something better for $2000 or less?
Would it be better to buy an Orion XT10g Goto Dob?

Blake
13-07-2013, 11:58 AM
Hi Glen,

I'm looking at buying a new set up myself to do some visual work and move in to astrophotography. I'm no expert by any means, but I might be able to share some things that might be worth looking at. The more experienced folks here will be able to offer more advice.

If you're talking about video astronomy, I'm guessing you want to video lunar/planetary bodies?

I can't comment on how good the Skywatcher GOTO flextube dobs or the Orion dobs are since I've never owned one, but what I would probably be most be concerned about it the fact that it is alt-azimuth tracking. The video capture might have a bit of shaking on top of the atmospheric turbulence. The best mounts for imaging at least (I'd think it would be much the same for video), are equatorial mounts. They might have a bit of a learning curve to set up and polar align etc. but in the long run if you want to get in to astrophotography/video you'll most likely want an EQ mount anyway. The learning curve will be worth it to. If your budget is $2000 or less, I'd probably have a look at something like a Skywatcher HEQ5 with a Bintel BT200 f/5 or f/4 newt. You can get a package like this for $1699 from Bintel (http://www.bintel.com.au/Telescopes/Reflector/35/catmenu.aspx). The scope is only 8 inch aperture, but for your budget and if you want to go for an EQ mount, it's about as good as it gets. Might be worth keeping an eye out on the classifieds on the forum as well. Not to say that the dob wont be good, I have seen some awesome images taken through dobs.

As for the camera choice, it doesn't look to be that high resolution, and I'm not sure about the quality of the sensor (others may be able to comment here?), plus the price is steep. It looks to be aimed more at security purposes, and might require modifying to be effective for astro work. Have you look at using a webcam? I myself am looking at buying a webcam (such as the Logitech C920 HD 1080p 15MP webcam) to modify and use for some planetary work and to play around a bit before going all out buying a pricey dedicated CCD camera. Webcams can be picked up for under $100, and the modifications look fairly easy, and the T adapters and what not needed to mount the webcam in the eyepiece holder aren't really expensive at all. And the webcam will be fairly light weight and not put so much strain on the side mounted newt focuser. You can also connect it straight to your pc for live views, and if you upgrade later on keep it for a guide scope camera or something.

It's entirely your decision in the end. See what others have to say here, and buy whatever you will be happy with and what will keep your interest in the sky alive! :D

Domol
13-07-2013, 02:51 PM
I'm also looking at Video astronomy. The main points are getting a low focal ratio on the telescope and a "long" exposure camera. some of the top of the range cameras can go up to 30 seconds

glenc
13-07-2013, 03:10 PM
Thanks Blake and Domenic. I plan to use it for deep sky "live" viewing not imaging.

AstroJunk
13-07-2013, 03:40 PM
A great combination Glen. I've used the 10" Flextube Goto and its a great scope which is already set up for Photographic/video use as well as visual. Add a shroud and a dew heater for the secondary which is quie exposed and tends to fog up.

I have heard great things about the camera which seems to be superb value.

Steve at My Astro Shop sells a Prostar 0.5 focal reducer that can really improve the views of the Orion Nebula and the like and is well worth the modest outlay.

If you were to go for an equatiorial combo, An 8" F.4 on an HEQ5 makes a superb Video scope too, but ALT/AZ is absolutely fine!