PDA

View Full Version here: : Problem with Win7 Sandisk fit

acropolite
06-07-2013, 06:17 PM
I had a problem reading my Sandisk Fit memory stick (32Gb) with win 7, it's solved but I thought the fix might help others.

The device can be seen in the device manager, but doesn't show up in the drive tree (with the exception of plugging and unplugging where it briefly shows as a drive letter).

I did a quick search of the drives in the disk management area of the admin tools and the drive wasn't there.

I had a nagging suspicion that something else was holding up the USB ports but other sticks of lesser capacity worked fine in any of the ports.

My gut feeling was Samsung Kies software for my Galaxy 3. I tried various push here prod this fixes suggested on the Sandisk forum none of which worked. I finally found a link to a reference mentioning that Kies was the source of the problem, stopped all Kies services and voila the stick was there.

Not sure whether Kies or Sandisk are at fault, but I've removed Kies for now and all's well.

FlashDrive
06-07-2013, 06:40 PM
Thanks for the ' heads up ' Phil.....:thanx:

Flash.....

alpharipper
06-07-2013, 07:52 PM
Hi Phil,

When you had the issue did you find any answers pertaining to disc management area of win7.

Do you know if the disk was listed in the management screen or just in device manager.

The reason I ask, if the disc showed up it may have been expecting to use the same drive letter as the sandisk. Be interested to know as I have had same issues with some devices, they create a pseudo drive letters and when you us some ex HDD and pen drives it looks for the used drive letter.

Thanks for the heads up anyway.
Andrew

acropolite
06-07-2013, 10:29 PM
The Sandisk stick was visible in the device manager as a disk drive but not as a USB device. My Sandisk card reader was visible in both areas and wasn't part of the problem.

There was no trace of the stick in the disk manager area of the Admin tools.

It may be that Kies had "commandeered" the "H" drive designation, when the Sandisk was plugged or unplugged the H drive flashed briefly in the explorer tree, But also worthy of note is that another stick of 2GB capacity and from another MFG wasn't affected.

When the stick was plugged in there was some minor instability, very slow response from some parts of the OS and lockup of the device manager when any attempt was made to open the properties of the sandisk device in the disk drive area.