PDA

View Full Version here: : AAG cloud sensor or Boltwood?

Paul Haese
20-06-2013, 10:18 PM
I am at the stage now of selecting which weather station I use to control the observatory roof and detection of cloud and wind.

I know that the AAG is considerably cheaper than the Boltwood, but is the Boltwood actually a lot better than the AAG?

I don't want to spend money on something I don't need and would like some advice as to which is better and why? I know Mark in Arkaroola is using the AAG and that is working well and he seems happy with it.

So please give me some advice.

Tandum
21-06-2013, 12:34 AM
What do these cost paul? Don't you really just need a rain detector to close the roof?

frolinmod
21-06-2013, 01:49 AM
Don't forget the new HitecAstro one or the Lunatico one.

Nope, no experience with either one and I'm definitely not suggesting you purchase either one. Just pointing them out.

Paul Haese
21-06-2013, 09:47 AM
Robin, these detect rain too. The cost is 495US for the AAG and 1700US for the Boltwood. The Boltwood has a few more features.

Ernie, I did not know those companies made them. I will go take a look. Do you have experience with any of them?

Gruffalo
21-06-2013, 11:10 AM
I don't comprehend automated astronomy. Takes away the pure pleasure of it for me - getting away from the hum drum of a rushed life, relaxing under the stars, even if it is just monitoring the scope, watching each exposure download onto the screen revealing your target.

Please don't tell me you automate the whole thing then go watch TV, or sleep? :)

Paul Haese
21-06-2013, 11:43 AM
The automated side allows me to do other imaging or viewing and allows me to image on nights if we are travelling. It also means I can image on week nights without feeling knocked out the next day. So don't worry I am still doing some astronomy despite automating this side of things.

Bassnut
21-06-2013, 06:04 PM
Well, given megadata is arguably the "last mile", youde be hard pressed to get 6hrs a night 5 nights in a row watching downloads and still keep a job :P

I know what you mean, the hands on thing, but 6 hrs on one object and one filter whilst sleeping with a bolt wood ready to close the roof on rain is hardly full on automation.

Paul Haese
21-06-2013, 07:56 PM
So Freddo I take it you think the Boltwood is the way to go?

Bassnut
21-06-2013, 08:47 PM
I know the boltwood is reliable, but Idont know about the AAG reliability personally. Id go with the AAG myself, its been around a while. Rensing rain is the most important, the rest is a bonus if your prepared to pay. I had a simple rain sensor for years, all I needed.

Paul Haese
23-06-2013, 08:59 PM
I went with the AAG cloud sensor in the end. It can be added to with the latest AAG wind and weather station too if I want later. Thanks for the advice guys.

BPO
28-06-2013, 07:47 PM
My AAG_CloudWatcher has been operating at almost 2,000 metres ASL here in the mountains of the South Island for a few years and has never missed a beat. It's very accurate. Well worth the price, in my opinion.

Always excellent support from Antonio of AAG and Jaime of Lunatico.

Paul Haese
28-06-2013, 08:49 PM
Thanks for the confirmation. Several people have confirmed the same thing.

jase
28-06-2013, 09:21 PM
I don't think you can go wrong with either. The earlier models of the AAG Cloud Watcher were sketchy and unreliable. The later releases have significantly improved. There is also good software support for both with today's observatory automation tools. Good purchase, Paul.

BPO
29-06-2013, 09:08 AM
Depending on your local climate, you may have to adjust the K Factor values in the software.

The default numbers are for warm/hot, humid climates and didn't work too well at my cool/cold and dry site, but the values suggested in the help file work perfectly.

If none of the suggested alternatives fit, you can tinker until you get it right. (It's not at all difficult.)

DavidTrap
29-06-2013, 10:06 AM
Can you elaborate on this please Jase?

ta
DT

Paul Haese
29-06-2013, 10:49 AM
Ahh, this had occurred to me during the last week. I had wondered if the very heavy dew I get here would be misconstrued for rain. I am will need to read up on the help file to find the right setting. My site is cool/cold but dewy. In summer it is warm/hot and dewy too on most nights.

BPO
29-06-2013, 11:49 AM
As far as I recall, the CloudWatcher has been able to differentiate between dew and rain in every case.

There may be a bit of trial-and-error involved if none of the alternative combinations work, but it's not too onerous.

Jaime and Antonio are almost always available to help via email, and Jaime is also quick to respond on the Yahoo! Group.

http://tech.groups.yahoo.com/group/lunaticoastro_en/

One last issue is that the onboard internal temp sensor isn't supposed to be used as a guide to ambient air temperature, as it's fully exposed to sunlight. (Unless you've mounted the CW in the shade.)

Paul Haese
21-07-2013, 11:17 AM
Update:

BPO since you have been using yours for a while I have a few questions.

The unit works fine, but I am not sure about an error I think is going on and I think I may have caused it.

In the Network Tab I set the folder for User data file destination into a folder in my documents. Likewise I set up the CCDA4 file into my documents too.

I also changed the names of each of the file names.

What I noted yesterday when I started up the system is that the file names had changed again and the AAG software was back at the default destination again.

The "instructions" don't seem to have a save as function and I am wondering if I have done something wrong? Where did you put your files and folders and did you change the names?

Similarly the destination also is being watched by my dome software and this did not seem to update as before, so obviously something is wrong.

I will look at the K values too as you suggested earlier

Paul Haese
21-07-2013, 11:24 AM
BTW do I have to start this every time or does it work automatically when connected to a command software?

BPO
21-07-2013, 01:53 PM
Crikey mate, I'll have to go back and look at my setup! It's been too long for me to be able to recall the config off the top of my head.

But I'm not getting old.

:lol: