PDA

View Full Version here: : NASA aims to reduce asteroid threat

Astro_Bot
20-06-2013, 10:17 AM
NASA is stepping up efforts to detect and plot asteroids that pose a risk to Earth: NASA aims to reduce asteroid threat (http://www.brisbanetimes.com.au/technology/sci-tech/nasa-aims-to-reduce-asteroid-threat-20130619-2oisc.html)

NASA may also re-activate WISE to help in the asteroid survey.

Of particular interest:

Keep in mind that at no time has NASA mentioned employing a crew of oil drillers or Bruce Willis. :P

Larryp
20-06-2013, 10:33 AM
No good without Bruce Willis:lol:

mithrandir
20-06-2013, 02:13 PM
Does this mean there might be some funding for Rob McNaught?

Astro_Bot
22-08-2013, 01:28 PM
Further to the above, NASA is indeed reactivating WISE:

NASA WISE telescope gets new life as asteroid hunter (http://www.brisbanetimes.com.au/technology/sci-tech/nasa-wise-telescope-gets-new-life-as-asteroid-hunter-20130822-2scq1.html)

Wavytone
25-08-2013, 09:49 PM
Detecting them is one thing.

Reducing the threat means being able to reduce the probability or the consequences of an impact - they're a long way from having any real way to do that yet.

In some ways I really wonder if it isn't better not to know about this.

Astro_Bot
26-08-2013, 01:42 AM
True, but one thing's for certain: if it's not detected, one can't do anything about it. And it seems sensible to quantify the risk to then appropriately apportion resources toward risk reduction (or not, if the risk is acceptably low).

There have been a couple of creative suggestions for deflecting asteroids - I won't repeat them here - they're in online articles found easily enough. Better minds than mine will evaluate their usefulness.

jjjnettie
26-08-2013, 01:24 PM
Gravitational tractors top the list on methods that NASA will use. If the asteroid is detected further enough out, it won't take much to change it's trajectory.

multiweb
26-08-2013, 02:01 PM
With all the slug guns in QLD I reckon no rock stands a chance. :P