PDA

View Full Version here: : "Super Moon" this weekend - June 23

iceman
20-06-2013, 06:51 AM
There's been a bit of hype about the 'Supermoon' this weekend - I've seen so many images and posts on social media about it.

I know posting it here is not really necessary as most of us will know this, but there's always some who will discover it for the first time.

A so-called Supermoon is when the Full Moon coincides with Perigee - where the Moon is closest to Earth in its elliptical orbit.

It's not that rare - it happens once every year, and it's not that much bigger or brighter (about 14% bigger than when it's at its furthest away). It's probably not really noticeable to the regular person looking up at the Moon.

However, if the hype manages to get people outside looking up at the Moon - then that's a great outcome. I just hope they're not disappointed that it doesn't take up half the sky, as depicted in some of the mockup images I've seen :)

This Moon photo was taken just before the December 2011 Total Lunar Eclipse. It's used here for no particular reason except I needed a full-moon photo to go with the story :)

mental4astro
20-06-2013, 07:07 AM
Ya for the note, Mike. I actually wasn't aware of the SUPER MOON for the weekend. But I'm very glad that your VERY measured post won't add to the hyperbole, particularly with that large, crisp image of the Moon. Let's see, how would the tabloid papers quote your post (first & last paragraph's in case it's not clear to us analytical types) Hmmm, let's see:

"The SUPERMOON" photo was taken for the story"

Now, I believe I'm just quoting you... :rolleyes:

OzEclipse
20-06-2013, 08:20 AM
As Mike points out it happens every year. But big Moon's occur throughout the year at constantly shifting phases. This slow phase shift is due to the approx 2.2 day difference between the Moon's siderial (27.3d) and synodic (29.5) months. The minimum lunar distance beats over the year, maximum less so. So after 6 orbits, the phase shifts by 2.2d x 6 = 13.2 days and occurs close to new moon where it's not nearly as widely covered by the media.

Joe

killswitch
20-06-2013, 09:36 AM
Thanks for the reminder. I tried taking photos of last years supermoon with a DSLR and a 300mm kit lens. I had some success.

Im gonna try to find a vantage point facing the city skyline for some horizon illusion shots.

Wavytone
20-06-2013, 03:54 PM
The media are clutching at anything to report, so expect a hypegasm. Even Mal Meninga's ramblings warranted a whole 30 minutes this morning, that's how slow things are.

Someone should hype it up for all its worth... hmm... got a black cape with a red silk lining, dinner suit and some fangs ?

bojan
20-06-2013, 04:21 PM
Soon, there will be that "Mars big as Moon" hype again... as it is every year since last close opposition :P

RobF
20-06-2013, 09:19 PM
You beat me to it Bojan! I was about to say have you heard the Super-Moon will be bigger than Mars this weekend.....:D

lazjen
21-06-2013, 08:37 AM
Bad Astronomy has a good write up on it: Moon of Steel: Supermoon Returns (http://www.slate.com/blogs/bad_astronomy/2013/06/20/supermoon_big_bright_moon_but_no_mo re_than_usual.html)

graham.hobart
21-06-2013, 02:47 PM
on that link- I preferred the "super" gymnast with the ball, quite brilliant!
Graz

h0ughy
21-06-2013, 03:15 PM
probably no moon for us this weekend Mike with another ruddy east coast low supposedly forming, its getting to the stage we might be better off moving to SA or WA

CJ
21-06-2013, 03:40 PM
Ozscopes have succumbed to the silly gigantic moon graphics. Their scrolling banner has it. Dear oh dear.

von Tom
21-06-2013, 09:14 PM
And a piccie comparing the near and far sizes of the Moon:

glend
21-06-2013, 10:07 PM
I was out looking at it tonight, as it was reasonably clear here. I hate full moons as its like the flood lights at a stadium, can't see much else even with a light shield.

Suzy
21-06-2013, 10:22 PM
But wait...
We have more.......
Taa daaaaaa: Strawberry Super Moon ! :lol:
http://www.learnastronomyhq.com/articles/the-strawberry-supermoon-in.html

There's a certain graphic that's gone viral on facebook; it's very misleading and along with Mike I've been trying to bring some realism about it on the IIS fb page.

In the link just below is the graphic mentioned above and a great article.
Note the graphic says at the end, "it also presents the moon's closest encounter with earth in a long time." :screwy::screwy::screwy:

http://www.hoaxorfact.com/Science/largest-and-closest-super-moon-on-23-june-2013-facts.html

And check out the size of that moon in the graphic :lol:. I fear a person who's never seen this before may get quite disappointed and put them off astronomy. Last year when the Super Moon came around, my niece who's not all that into astronomy contacted me all excited as to what to expect. Yes, the publicity is a great thing as it gets people to look up. But let's get real.:)

It's a wonderful event I'm not denying that and it looks amazing on the horizon (I really have a hard time spotting the difference when it climbs higher in the sky tho). It's just the over the top hype I find misleading. Btw the term "Super Moon" actually stemmed from astrology. Still.. catchy name for this event I guess.

Chris, I just had a look at Ozscopes fb page- and that graphic isn't that much different to the one I'm talking about. At least the words are accurate though, I guess that's something.:rolleyes:
https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=562534177122867&set=a.132887673420855.13256.1293046 13779161&type=1&theater

Anyway.. bring on Sunday and the full moon at perigee aka "Super Moon"- I can't wait! :D

killswitch
22-06-2013, 10:31 PM
Looks like its gonna be clouded out in Sydney.

Supermoon = Super king tides = Superfishing!

icytailmark
23-06-2013, 01:46 PM
LOL@supermoon i always laugh when people make such a big deal about this. The moon is actually drifting away from earth.

Ric
23-06-2013, 03:37 PM
No SuperMoon here this weekend.

Had a lot of SuperClouds though. :D

Astro_Bot
23-06-2013, 03:39 PM
... and I was watching some "super" rugby instead. :)

iceman
23-06-2013, 04:42 PM
Clouds and rain!

No photos for me tonight.

GrahamL
23-06-2013, 06:56 PM
ignored astrology rubbish from 30 years ago is now science!

talk to a "professional" astrologer or two and theres more than a hint of a nice little earner skating around the edges of this stuff that's
really the bigger problem with embracing this bunkum even in a small way imho.

doppler
23-06-2013, 07:14 PM
Here is the "supermoon" with super coal carriers as seen in Mackay.

102mm f7 achro canon 1100d iso 200 1/125 sec. The ships are probably 20 kms away from the lookout.

iceman
23-06-2013, 08:03 PM
Fantastic photo, Rick! What was your focal length?

doppler
23-06-2013, 09:34 PM
Thanks
The pic was taken with a 700mm focal length refractor at prime focus. I was trying for a silouette of the ship and moon but had to make a quick move due to a tree blocking my view at the crucial time. The last full moon clouds rolled in 5 min before moon rise. At least here are always dozens of ships in the bay so I will eventually get that shot.

hotspur
24-06-2013, 07:56 AM
Well,I tried-but yesterday in S.E QLD was cloudy again :(

I did visit a graziers' property on Saturday,and we found this location,and saw the moon coming up at 4.15 pm.we figured if we came back on the Sunday we might do OK.But it did not work out-which perhaps may have been just as well-I've been spending time on other photography projects-and missus wanted me to do some gardening.

Here is a saturday planning image.