PDA

View Full Version here: : Skysafari and HEQ5 pro Goto problem

johnnyt123
18-06-2013, 04:05 AM
Good morning guys.
Well it's 4am and I have just packed from a night of attempted astro imaging which resulted in failure.

I had trouble with my mount control using stellarium and sky safari pro on iPad using skywire. I have a skywatcHer HEQ5 pro mount.

Whenever I gave a goto command the scope moved in a mirror image to where it should go. It's as though the polarity of the RA and Dec axis was inverted.

I tried all the serial cables I had but all gave the same results. it's so difficult trying to find deep sky objects manually......

Does anyone know how to correct this?

Thanks

John

alistairsam
18-06-2013, 12:59 PM
hi John,

I presume you're using EQASCOM?
have you set your location correctly both in eqascom and stellarium?
Cheers

johnnyt123
18-06-2013, 01:17 PM
Hi Sam?

Ima not using eqascom.
Skysafari pro and stellarium can direct connect and control after selecting the type of scope.

And I do have all the location in correct for Sydney. Skysafari uses GPS to locate you.
I feel like it thinks I am in the northern hemisphere. But that's impossible because the app doesn't let you slew to objects below the horizon.

So I am confused.

John.

Steffen
18-06-2013, 02:21 PM
Hi John,
does the mount do correct GOTOs when using the SynScan hand controller? If so, that would rule out incorrect SynScan settings (date format, DST and coordinates inputs lend themselves to mistakes).

I'd double-check the location and time settings in SkySafari next, even though automatic GPS based settings should be ok. There could be a bug lurking there somewhere.

Another thing to double-check is the telescope settings. The telescope type (Skywatcher Synscan) is obvious but mode of operation (EQ vs AltAz) is sometimes overlooked (by me anyway ;) ).

I haven't use the SkyWire myself, but it works with the SkyFi box and a direct serial cable from the Mac to the hand controller, and I don't see how there would be any conceptual differences there.

Cheers
Steffen.

johnnyt123
18-06-2013, 03:38 PM
Hi Steffen.

I think you are right.
I should go back and double check all my settings.
I am starting to think maybe i have the lattitude settings wrong. May have swapped South for North.
I will check when i get home.

all the coordinates were literally mirror imaged. example. instead of the scope going to a target that was up and to the left, it went down and to the right.
I was testing it on Crux

I will double check the settings tonight.

Thanks again.

John