PDA

View Full Version here: : A Pic of my 14", that needs a wedge mod.

Shawn
16-06-2006, 02:03 AM
Here it is for anyone thats interested, maxed out on it wedge with another 8 degrees needed, any tips on how to achieve this would be great, or shall I sell the house and move back south:). Also need to fit counterweights now, not balanced anymore , the scope is out of balance too, :) anyone make recomondations...

Dennis
16-06-2006, 07:35 AM
Wow, that is one impressive rig - good luck with the mods.

Cheers

Dennis

iceman
16-06-2006, 07:51 AM
If there's nothing else you can do, I guess you'll have to buy a new wedge and sell the old one.

I would have the same problem with my EQ platform if I moved too far - it's only adjustable for +/- 5° latitude from where I am at 33 S.

astro_nutt
16-06-2006, 09:17 AM
Bush mechanics solution...how about facing 2 of the 3 tripod legs towards the SCP and then lowering the one leg facing the NCP..work out the diffrence using a spirit level and protractor from the top of the tripod...
For the balance..how about a weighted ring?...get some flexable clear plastic hose from bunnings long enough to wrap around the primary mirror end... (choose a diameter that will fit between the fork tyne and the optical tube)...drill a hole in each end so you can use a piece of strong elastic to secure it to the scope...fill the hose with enough sand as needed and block the ends with a rag, some blu-tac, followed by some tape over the ends..or you can try another weighted ring method..
Good luck!!
BTW..very impressive rig you have there!!

h0ughy
16-06-2006, 01:44 PM
1 method - buy a paramount ME and tube rings
2 go back to alt az
3 get a new wedge made up at a engineering firm with specs from MAPUG
4 ignore anything we say cause we are jealous and want that rig further south

CoombellKid
16-06-2006, 02:01 PM
Maybe if your able to get it to a local engineering firm. They could make
up say a 10 degree wedge you could place between the wedge and tripod.
Not sure if this could be done as I'm not to versed in the setup you have.

just throwing in my thoughts.

regards,CS

Rob

alandee
16-06-2006, 03:30 PM
Rob's idea is a winner, just get them to mill up a 10 degree shim, whack a few holes in the right spots, spiggot it if it makes you feel warm and fuzzy and with some extended mount bolts it will give you the scope you need ..:rofl:, could have been worse .. I could have said, it would give you some extra latitude ..

Shawn
16-06-2006, 06:03 PM
Milling up a couple of ten degree wedges,, I think is the go, It got 2 votes and makes good sense I think, and put em between the wedge arms and the wedge base, mod the alt az adjuster so it reaches, and fit all the balance I bought today, after Ive built it into something that resembles balance gear, a slightly refined bush mechanics approach :) ..post pics when Ive made it up... thanks for all the input guys, really appreciate it. I will most certainly let you all know what happens, lucky its going to be a cloudy weekend up here..small consolation...

Lester
16-06-2006, 09:11 PM
Best idea I can come up with= send the 14"LX200R down to my observatory. I will house it for free and down here your wedge will work fine. :) Pluss you will be able to see a few more southern objects at higher altitude.:thumbsup:

Shawn
16-06-2006, 11:27 PM
A very kind thought, I considered it for a nanosecond, but I regret it would put some Northern objects at lower latidudes,,,:whistle: ...and besides I would feel bad about your floorspace...:) .

[1ponders]
17-06-2006, 12:31 PM
Robs idea definately sounds like the go, but I gather from your later post you are thinking of getting a number of smaller wedges. If so I would suggest they only be a temporary trial run.

To maintain the stability of you mount and to reduce the likely hood of flexing of the base of your superwedge (especially for imaging) a full plate wedge be made for the top of the tripod. There is a lot of weight in that 14" to be swinging around the place, a lot of tension and compression is going to be put on the base of the superwedge. if for no other reason than peace of mind I'd seriously consider the solid wedge. Just imagine one of the smaller wedges "popping" out one dark night while you are slewing from one side of the sky to the other.

Shawn
17-06-2006, 12:57 PM
I think a gusset of some type across the centre where, the totally useless compass is would be a smart move especially if you extend the thru bolt into the gusset....thanks for that I hadnt considered sideways tortional stresses.

And yes the popping out would be a disaster............

Cheers

[1ponders]
17-06-2006, 01:02 PM
Another thing to think about too, is if you tilt the existing wedge by placing a "spacer" wedge under it, you will need to get the existing mounting hole/s re-drilled at a slight angle and then maybe bushed so take up any slack from the original hole "directions". Does the wedge you have take a single bolt up the middle or is it fixed with three bolts around the outside?

[1ponders]
17-06-2006, 01:07 PM
I've just been having a look at your picture and remembering how my 8" used to mount to it's wedge. Instead of going between the tripod and superwedge base, how about placing the wedge "wedge" between the base of the telescope and the latitude adjustment plate of the existing wedge. That way you don't compromise the connection between tripod and wedge base which is the important connection. If you put it between the scope base and the adjustment plate you will have three bolts to go through your new wedge and it will be sandwiched between the adjustment plate and the base of the scope.

If any of that makes any sense

Shawn
17-06-2006, 03:22 PM
Just a little mod to the Az Adjuster so it can reach the tripod top,,,typing is hard just burnt myself welding together the balance rails,,,looking good though, Ill take orders when Im done,,,:)