PDA

View Full Version here: : Delivered with Love & Care

bkm2304
15-06-2013, 12:49 PM
Hi all,

Received a GSO 16" from Andrews Communications a few days back. Thought I'd share the experience with you all.

Notice on the pictures the care with which the size 12 work boots are carefully placed all over the packaging. I think that shows an attention to detail that is commendable. Also see the very nice rips in the carton itself showing personalised handing during transit.

Now, of course, I am not blaming Andrews Comms for this - they are a reputable firm that I have and will continue to deal with.

I am blaming the couriers. The delivery was a two stage effort with local couriers - who I know and trust - completing the final leg. They received the goods with the hoof prints

Happily there was no damage done. But looking at the severity of the boots imprints and the glaring lack of respect for things marked "Fragile" I think this was a matter of luck more than anything.

If anyone knows a courier that actually handles Fragile goods appropriately, I will pass it on to Andrews for their information.

Richard

Rod771
15-06-2013, 01:00 PM
Items arrive in better shape when they dont have a fragile sticker on them.

I admit this seems wrong however, the sticker can actually lower some people's IQ

Astroman
15-06-2013, 01:26 PM
Looks like from the amount of prints they had their annual Courier Ball right on top of your rocker box....

UniPol
15-06-2013, 03:08 PM
I also received my GSO 16" dob a little over a week ago from Andrews and can honestly say the three cartons arrived in almost unmarked condition which was a pleasant surprise. Andrews used Toll Ipec and I know that the driver who delivers to the Blue Mountains has been doing the run for many years and packs the truck very well. I suppose it comes down to how many depots, people and the like are involved in the delivery process particularly in this case of your packaging. I'm glad nothing was damaged inside. The GSO packaging is particularly good in my opinion.

I don't intend to take over your thread Richard but as an aside, I am absolutely thrilled with my purchase of the 16". Last year I bought the current model closed tube 10" GSO dob off a fellow IISpacer and have found it to have an excellent finish and performance and at a great price so the 16" seemed to be good value considering what they cost when they first came out. Apart from no instructions on how to assemble the 16" it went to together easily and only the smallest tweeking was needed to collimate the scope. I've had it out on three occasions since and mainly concentrated on the milky way region around Carina, Crux and Centaurus. I have yet to see Saturn as a I have issues with a few trees in my neighbour's yard. The views are very satisfying, particularly around Eta Carinae and Omega Centauri is simply stunning. I am fitting castor wheels with brakes this weekend to the 16" as I also did on the 10". The 10" and 16" are purely for visual use and are easy to wheel out of the garage at any time when the need arises.

Some pics attached, the 16" is now all black instead of the previous white versions, I also found a use for various stickers which enhance the otherwise plain lower tube.

bkm2304
15-06-2013, 06:07 PM
Hi Steve,

Yes I agree it comes down to the particular courier. As I said the guys up here - Dungog Couriers - are like your Blue Mountains blokes. Always careful. Always taking care with their deliveries. The "middle man" in this case was at fault.

On the other side of things, yes I agree the GSO 16" is a superb instrument. I had a Lightbridge 16"some years back which I understand has GSO made mirrors. I have always regretted selling it so have now got a scope that is just as good in every respect.

Richard.

Ric
16-06-2013, 12:19 PM
Hi Richard

Man I would be spitting chips if I received something in that state.

I comes down to respect and a duty of care for peoples property, while there are still couriers that abide by this sadly a lot of them just don't give a hoot and are just after the money.

Glad to hear that everything was ok inside.

Lee
16-06-2013, 01:51 PM
This quote is copied/pasted from Andrews site....

"Please do NOT write <fragile> on anything you send to us as doing so greatly increases the risk of damage. Please try to "double-box" all items sent to us."

OzEclipse
16-06-2013, 09:29 PM
Certainly not Star Track Express. They delivered the EQ head of my mount quickly and in one go. The tripod box, contained tripod, cables and counterweights got misdirected and went back and forth between two other cities 4 times. By the time it was finally delivered 2-3 weeks later, you can see the state it arrived in from the attached photo's. Both ends were concertina-like and there was a rupture right through about 200mm from one end taped up with StarTrack tape. The dunderheads at the wrong receiving depot, kept sending it back to the first city so that that originating city's depot could send it to the correct city instead of redirecting it to Canberra. It didn't occur to them to just send it to Canberra. I finally had to call the depot, speak to someone and ask them to send it straight to Canberra.

I'm not even going to name the vendors. Even though the damage was minor and cosmetic, both the vendors and the distributors went out of their way to replace both of the cosmetically damaged counterweights even though I was willing to accept them. I have no complaints about the retailer or distributor and the mount otherwise works perfectly well.

Joe

bkm2304
17-06-2013, 04:30 PM
Seems to be good advice. But perhaps Andrews should practice what they preach. Here's how their gear is labelled when it is sent to customers.

bkm2304
17-06-2013, 04:37 PM
Yes, Joe,

The irony of "Star Track" as a name. For all the lasers and codes and computers it comes down to meatware rather than software issues in these situations.

strongmanmike
17-06-2013, 04:54 PM
Hi Richard

On the face of it that looks pretty bad but are you sure they are not footprints made when the box was flat packed on a floor at Andrews (or elswhere) before being made into the box? Is there enough support inside that box to take the weight of a man..? The footprint looks very even like it was on a hard surface when stood on? This is almost as bad, not great practise to use boxes with foot prints on them to send optics in either :lol:

Mike

bkm2304
17-06-2013, 09:10 PM
Really don't know, Mike. But I am sure the lads at Andrews wouldn't send out the sort of packages I received - just not a good look for any business, particularly a precision optical and electronics crowd like Andrews Comms. On the other hand I suppose it's a good look for work boot sellers!

Richard.

h0ughy
17-06-2013, 09:38 PM
who wants sissy optics - fragile!!!

man up optics for you and they give you the boot ;)

darn lucky they are intact