PDA

View Full Version here: : Issues with Gemini

stanlite
14-06-2013, 10:33 PM
Hi all.

I have been having troubles with my Gemini to PC connection using Gemini.Net via various software. I have the baud rate synced at 9600bits between the computer software of .Net and the Gemini HC unit. My issue is that most times the connection between the computer and Gemini doesn't establish and my computer enters the twilight zone for ten mins while the Gemini settings load only to imminently come up with a connection failed tab or the settings load almost instantly and there is no problem and i have full PC control of the mount.

Am I doing something wrong. I always make sure to set to either photo of all speeds. I have a good serial to usb connector (an ATEN recommended to me by other losmandy users). The connections in all the parts seem to be fine... i am stumped as to why this wouldn't.

Has anyone had similar experiences?

multiweb
14-06-2013, 10:41 PM
What COM port # are you using?

stanlite
14-06-2013, 11:09 PM
it usally sits in COM 6 although i have tried it in other USB ports and this has changed the COM connection (its been 8 and 11 I believe). Never really had any lasting success in any

tlgerdes
15-06-2013, 09:10 PM
Reconfigure you're com port to be 1-4, I have seen a lot of apps that choke once beyond those.

White Rabbit
16-06-2013, 07:22 AM
I'm assuming that you are connecting via USB if you are using a serial to USB connector, have you tried connecting via USB direct from the gemini to the pc. There should be no reason to use a serial to USB converter as the gemini does that for you. Also perhaps try connecting via Ethernet, you will need a cat 5 cross over cable to connect this way though. You can get theses from JB HIFI or dick smiths.

Sandy

tlgerdes
16-06-2013, 07:26 AM
I'm taking a wild stab and thinking he has a G1 not a G2 ;)

wasyoungonce
16-06-2013, 09:56 AM
Hi Grady...this is a Gemini 1, I assume it is otherwise you would be trying Ethernet? If so there are a number of checks that can be done.

1st. Gemini1 FAQ's #7 (http://www.gemini-2.com/faq.php#Q7) to check which COM port you are using.

2nd. If you cannot connect, try Gemini ASCOM, and ensure "Auto detect Gemini on other ports is un-ticked". Now try a connection on the ports you saw in Gemini FAQ's #7!

3rd. If this fails, Pull all other connections off the Gemini, re-boot it and plug in your RS232 or GPS to the Gemini. This should wake the RS232 IC!

The Gemini 1 RS232 system uses an IC that has a sleep mode to save power. Sometimes it likes to go to sleep and has trouble waking. Waking depends on the signals it sees on it's receive line.

If all that fails, see FAQ's #11 (http://www.gemini-2.com/faq.php#Q11). If you handy with a multimeter you can measure across C21. Sometimes doing this can wake the IC but in general if you do not measure this as +5V then the IC is dead. These IC's are prone to fail.

The good news is that these IC's are available and reasonably easily changed, they are not that expensive just fiddly due to the small pads.

Oh, I forgot to mention....there are 2 types of RS232 IC's (U6) an SSOP-16 (the older longer narrower version) and the SOIC-16 ( newer wider version). You can see details of this if your a member of the Gemini yahoo group here (http://tech.groups.yahoo.com/group/Gemini_Users/files/Gemini%201%20PCB%20parts/).

Get back and we can devise a strategy of more help if needed.

stanlite
16-06-2013, 10:22 PM
Thanks everyone it did indeed seem to be the port numbering also seems that multiple ports had been created (up to 14) over time and was interfering with the setup. Managed to connect no problem once i deleted these excess ComPorts the Losmandy is now COM PORT 1 lol ... Also yes it was a Gemini 1

tlgerdes
17-06-2013, 06:26 PM
What you need now is to make sure you always plug the serial adapter into the same USB port, else it will create a new com port for you.

multiweb
18-06-2013, 11:07 AM
Good stuff. Yeah somehow port numbering does have an effect on the old Gemini. I hear windows 8 does a 'global' assignment of USB ports so it doesn't matter which USB port you use for your astro gear as it picks the settings/drivers from a global pool. Can anyone confirm this or is it BS? :question: