PDA

View Full Version here: : Make a Quickfinder

ballaratdragons
05-03-2005, 02:16 PM
Want to make a Zero Mag Quickfinder that will fit ANY telescope with a finderscope?

See Photo below of the parts and a completed model:

You can use any size PVC tubes. I used 48mm for the main tube (from a kids swimming pool frame), 38mm for the look-in tube (swimming pool again), 55mm PVC pipe for the Dew cover (not necessary but it looks better) and the adjustable mounting ring, an oil bottle lid (for the back end), a small piece of wood cut at 45 degrees and a small peice of mirror cut (or broken) into an oval.

Paint all parts before assembly.

In the main tube, cut a hole 3mm smaller than the look-in tube. On the end of the look-in tube that connects to the main tube, file or sand it to the shape of the tube so it sits flush. Glue it on (when painted).

Glue the oval mirror (cut to fit inside main tube) onto the wood (cut at 45 degrees). Slide the mirror assembly into the tube and glue into place directly under look-in tube, making sure the open end of the tube is in centre of view.

For the Adjustable Mounting ring drill 3 small holes at one end and screw in small bolts (cutting the thread is easy with the bolts). The other end is held in place on the main tube with a rubber 'O' ring.

Slide adjustable assembly onto main tube.

Glue a plastic bottle lid into the mirror end to make it look neater.

If you want (just for neatness & looks) add a dew cover to the front end.

Because I didn't want to drill holes in my scope I made a vice-grip type of mount.
The mount is pine, cut with a Jig-Saw to the basic shape and size of the finder and the Qickfinder. Glue some bicycle tube rubber onto the surfaces that touch the finders. Drill a hole in the top mount. Attach mount to both the finders and screw through to the bottom mount, gently tightening until the Quickfinder doesn't move.

Line it up using the adjusting bolts in the Mounting ring and PRESTO!

In the photo below is a finished unit and the parts for another identical unit I am making.

Good Luck!

NOTE: The larger the diameter of the main tube, the better the ease of use.
This is a fast locator finder, not an accurate magnified finder.

beren
05-03-2005, 02:52 PM
Excellent Ken ....thanks might give it a go

ballaratdragons
05-03-2005, 03:05 PM
Here it is mounted on my 12"scope.

(also note dew sheild on finderscope)

RAJAH235
05-03-2005, 04:14 PM
Ken, What FOV with the 48mm? T'is very adaptable. L or Diam. regs the FOV eh! VG Ken.:thumbsup:

ballaratdragons
05-03-2005, 05:29 PM
Laurie,

This is what I see with a main tube of 200mm long and 48mm external dia. (43mm internal)

(Southern Cross)

Astroman
05-03-2005, 07:28 PM
That is a brilliant idea, I may give it a go. Cheap too, just the way I like it :)

ballaratdragons
05-03-2005, 08:11 PM
Just remembered something I forgot to tell you:

Sometimes the constellations are hard to recognise in reverse.

You are looking at them but thinking "that's not it".

If this becomes a nuisance, remove the bottle cap and mirror assembly, make a hole in the bottle cap one third the diameter of the main tube and glue it back on.

In this way everything is in normal vision but you have to look through the end of it instead of the side.

Have fun.

RAJAH235
05-03-2005, 10:14 PM
Thanks Ken. Looks like about 8 to 9 degree field. :thumbsup: L.

ballaratdragons
05-03-2005, 10:34 PM
Yep. If you want more FOV just cut some tube off the front end! Simple.

If you want a smaller FOV add a longer dew sheild!

Can't be much easier than that.

Someone clever could make one with a sliding dew cover so the FOV can be changed in seconds. (might try that)

Astroman
06-03-2005, 08:55 AM
Maybe someway or turning the image up the right way wouldn't be a bad addition, may require a few more mirrors, or lenses

ballaratdragons
06-03-2005, 02:44 PM
That's got me thinking now Andrew. I don't like having to think!

I'll try it though. Thanks.

ving
06-03-2005, 02:51 PM
hey thats brill ken! :)

I'll put that ion my "to do" list:)

ving
06-03-2005, 03:11 PM
btw ken... is that a "ice in space sticker" i spy on your OTA?

ballaratdragons
06-03-2005, 04:41 PM
It's a home made sticker printed off this site.

There is a conversation about it in 'Send in a shot of your rig', pages 11 & 12.

Thiink
06-03-2005, 06:49 PM
Ken: just wondering if there was a reason why you put the clamp around the finderscope tube instead of around the metal clamp for the finderscope? I am in the process of making one of your inventions and am aiming at using the metal clamp for the finderscope rather than the tube itself.

Excellent idea by the way, it should make my viewing sessions a whole lot easier. Thanks for the post!

ballaratdragons
06-03-2005, 08:52 PM
Thiink,

The metal clamp on my scope is:

1. Tapered

2. The support post is in the way.

gaa_ian
06-03-2005, 09:24 PM
Clever little finder Ken, looks even easer to use than a Telrad.
Patent pending huh !!!
Still like my Telrad though, I dont think I have room for anymore gadgets on my scope !
BTW, do you think the move up to a 12" was worth the effort, over your previous scope, now that you have used it for a while ?

ballaratdragons
06-03-2005, 09:47 PM
Yes! Definately Ian.

I wanted to go deep space next anyway and the 12" is great for Deep Space at f5. The 4.25 was f8.
I am seeing things easily now that I could never even find before.

Galaxies like M65, 66, 83, 95, 96, & 104 show up almost as bright as 47Tuc and Omega Cent. I hardly have to look for them (using 30mm 2" SV).

And the light gathering capacity of the 12" lets me see colour!!
Not like in a photo, but m42 is a beautiful green.

I suppose it is all helped along by my dark location too. I won't be downsizing again, that's for sure.

p.s. Today I started working on a newer version Quickscope with red targets like a Telrad. Will do a report when it is finished.

gaa_ian
07-03-2005, 12:41 PM
Hmmm ...must have more appature :stargaze:

Thiink
07-03-2005, 04:27 PM
That would explain it. :ashamed:

Should have paid more attention to the support clamp. Sorry about that, back in my box!

ps. my version 1 'ballaratdragons super quickfinder' is coming along nicely, should have it done tonight with any luck. It will be interesting to see how version 2 (telrad like) finishes up. :)