PDA

View Full Version here: : Orion Mini Autoguider Question

Cazka
24-05-2013, 11:13 AM
I'm just getting into astrophotography, and was looking at purchasing the Orion Mini Autoguider Package (http://www.bintel.com.au/Astrophotography/Autoguiders/Orion-Mini-Autoguider-Package/403/productview.aspx) to use for autoguiding, but found out that the mini guidescope isn't compatible with bracket included on my telescope (Explore Scientific ED80 refractor).

My question is, does anyone know if it can be attached to a mounting plate on top of the telescope tube rings, similar to how other guidescopes are, like in this picture (http://www.astrophotography-tonight.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/12/astrophotography-gear.jpg), or can it only be attached to a compatible bracket on the telescope?

rogerco
24-05-2013, 04:53 PM
I have the Orion ED80 and it has similar screw fittings on the top of the main tube rings, you can attach the guidescope tube rings directly to these without he need for the adapter or bar.

Cazka
24-05-2013, 07:29 PM
But the mini guide scope doesn't use tube rings. It usually slides into the telescope's finderscope bracket, but the one for my telescope isn't compatible. I was trying to see whether anyone knew if it could slide into/onto mounting bars on top of the tube rings of the main scope. I've been looking around the web, but haven't managed to find out whether that's possible.

rogerco
24-05-2013, 10:01 PM
Sorry, didn't read the "mini" part.

Stardrifter_WA
25-05-2013, 01:41 AM
Hi Craig,

One option may be to change the finder bracket itself. I think the Orion guide package comes with the dovetail finder base anyway. Looking at the photo of the ES80, it appears to have a similar bracket that my 8" SCT had. I have changed that bracket to the type of bracket that the Orion uses, so that I could fit a better finder and only had to file the hole slot, on the bracket, a bit to fit the existing screw holes, on the tube. You may not even need to do this, as the hole distance may be ok.

Alternatively, you could mount a side by side plate onto your mount, although that would be a rather expensive option. I get most of my mounting hardware from OPT or you can try ADM for a side-by-side mounting plate. A further solution could be to find a single, although they are usually sold in pairs, mounting bracket, like this:

http://www.optcorp.com/sv-r90set-r90-set-hinged-ring-set-for-stellarvue-80mm-90mm-scopes.html

You could then mount the Orion bracket to to that.

Cheers Peter

Cazka
26-05-2013, 12:46 AM
I'm a bit wary about modifying the finder bracket. I am not handy in any way, and wouldn't want to risk inadvertently damaging something.

I hadn't considered a side-by-side mounting plate. So my main scope would go in one plate, while the mini guide scope goes in the other? I see ADM has a Vixen one for $169 here (http://admaccessories.com/V_Series_SBS.htm). It might be worth considering.

Although, after doing a bit more reading it does appear it can be mounted on a bar on top of tube rings due to the dovetail plate adapter, according to the product page (can't believe I've missed that before now, must have read the product description a dozen times to try to figure this out).

Either way, I'm now seriously considering perhaps going down the side-by-side road. It might end up being just as expensive, considering I would have to get tube rings, and a mounting plate if I went down the standard configuration, whereas if I went side-by-side, I think all I need would be the plate.

Stardrifter_WA
26-05-2013, 12:01 PM
There may be a cheaper option than side by side. Anyway, I have sent you a PM.

naskies
26-05-2013, 12:28 PM
If it were me, I'd probably avoid the side-by-side set up because most of the quality SBS saddles I've seen (e.g. ADM Accessories) are very bulky and heavy.

You have lots of options for mounting - changing the finder bracket would be the easiest. The Orion Mini Autoguider package comes with a base for its finder bracket (it has two 1/4" holes predrilled), though I'm not sure what the spacing is on your ES ED80's finder bracket. Looking at the pictures for the ES ED80, it looks like the existing finder bracket can be easily removed without damage (it's just a few screws).

An alternative option is to put rings/clamshells around your ED80, another set of rings around the Orion mini guider, and then a dovetail in between the two. For example, take a look at this kit:

http://admaccessories.com/V_Series_Guidescope_Kit.htm

The 75mm rings will suit the Orion mini guider perfectly (I've done it). You just need another set of rings to go around the ED80. You could even replace the ED80's "foot" mounting with a dovetail bar attached to the clamshell rings, though it probably wouldn't be necessary.

OzEclipse
26-05-2013, 05:55 PM
If you have a DSLR or middle weight astrocamera hanging off the back of the ED80, then you'd be better off mounting the guidescope on the dec axis. If you put too much weight towards the back of the scope, you'll have problems balancing the tube and will have to add counterweights to the front of the tube to get it to balance. I can only just get my ED80 to balance using a DSLR. Have to push the tube rings as far back as possible.

Better to use the clamshell type rings described below and mount the guider to a bar between the tube rings and centrally over the dec axis or even forward. You could also mount a dovetail bar as suggested.

Joe

Cazka
28-05-2013, 12:25 PM
I do have a DSLR camera, so that might be an issue. I'll have to test it out once I have all the equipment (some of it is still being delivered).

OK, I didn't know the mini guide scope could take rings. Once it arrives, I'll compare it's bracket to the ED80's finder scope bracket, and decide from there what to do, but it's good to see it can be placed in a set of rings.

Either way, you've all bought up a lot of possible solutions, so you've alleviated my fears of ordering a combination of equipment that couldn't work together. Once I have all the parts in front of me, I'm positive I'll find a way to get it done. Thanks for all the help.