PDA

View Full Version here: : the things you see on the way to work

h0ughy
23-05-2013, 11:19 AM
there is a major toy and hobby shop that i past everyday walking to work, this was the window display today . i am not into making models (havent done that since i was 12) but these certainly caught my eye

Steffen
23-05-2013, 11:31 AM
Wow, I wouldn't mind that Vostok-1 kit. I believe I built that (or a similar one, probably by AirFix) in the 70s.

Cheers
Steffen.

LewisM
23-05-2013, 11:37 AM
Asimov is making a road trip to Wallsend... :)

That Lindberg kit is SHOCKINGLY BAD, like all of Lindberg's kits. VAGUELY resemble the subject matter. VERY vaguely.

h0ughy
23-05-2013, 12:40 PM
https://www.frontlinehobbies.com.au/ and as i said i only walk past them ;)

h0ughy
23-05-2013, 12:41 PM
i have no idea and no experience with them, but it looked ok in the window

LewisM
23-05-2013, 12:46 PM
The rest are fine (well, some of the older Revell moulds can be a bit iffy 1970's standard), but Lindberg is a Modeller's Joke.

Lindberg made some RARE types that others wouldn't but the base model needed so much work as to almost negate the need.

Steffen
23-05-2013, 02:11 PM
Cool, thanks! :thumbsup:

asimov
23-05-2013, 05:25 PM
Hmmm very good but a bit far away for me;):lol: A model shop 4 doors up from me but they don't really stock space orientated gear which is just as well me thinks..:lol::eyepop:

I'd have a go at that Saturn 5..:thumbsup:

Terry B
23-05-2013, 07:21 PM
Yor right about seeing strange things on the way to work.
Mine today was driving my daughter to school before going to work. She screams out "There are hundreds of Santas" and points out the window.
She was correct. In the park were over 100 santas all with red suits, beards and hats standing in the rain.
After I dropped her at school I went back to investigate. It was part of the Variety Bash (http://www.theherald.com.au/story/1511415/gallery-variety-bash-begins/) and all seemed to be having a great time despite the rain. I didn't take any pics though and can't find any online :(

strongmanmike
23-05-2013, 10:03 PM
Yeh, Riley worked there for 2 years.

The owners were bloody horrible though, the type that just don't get it that their employees are really their most important asset instead they made life difficult and treated staff with contempt. We essentially subsidised them by supporting Riley while they paid him the absolute minimum possible, including with government assistance the first year as a trainee! If he rang in sick they would try and make him feel guilty first with zero concern for his actual sickness, which was real on each occasion. At an annual staff meeting before the Christmas rush the owner had each staff member read out a bill to the rest of the staff, Riley got the monthly phone bill to read out :rolleyes: no mention of actual money made only bills paid to make everyone feel guilty, man I hated them. My son is a trooper though with an excellent work ethic, they were very lucky and didn't deserve him.

Mike

Stardrifter_WA
23-05-2013, 10:42 PM
Unfortunately Mike, there are a lot of businesses like that.

My eldest daughter just quit her job because of the way she was treated. She too has a great work ethic and the company simply doesn't know, yet, how much work she actually did. She often gave up her weekends to help the company and they won't easily find anyone as dedicated to replace her.

When a company has a dedicated employee they should look after them, as it really is hard to find good staff these days.

I have been fairly lucky, as I have worked for a few good companies that really looked after me. On a couple of occasions I had companies that I had previously work for try and get me to come back. In the last 23 years I only once took time off sick, and that was three years ago when I had a major stroke and was hospitalised. Funny thing is, I was more upset about having to take time off work than I was about having a stroke, which, fortunately, I survived ok, with few side affects. These days, I only now work part-time in a job I love doing.

I have also worked for nightmare employers and usually quit because of it. The only time I worked for a nightmare boss and couldn't quit was when I was an apprentice. Mind you, I was gone as soon as my apprenticeship was completed. Frankly, I was treated as slave labour, at times.

Cheers Peter

asimov
26-05-2013, 09:32 AM
I thought this was about plastic models for cryin' out loud - Forgive me if I change topics;)

Bet you never saw this one on your way to work, David:lol:

h0ughy
26-05-2013, 09:53 AM
maybe not that exact one but in the shop they did have the galactica and a base ship a few other fighters. they were near the lego:help: