PDA

View Full Version here: : Recommendations on a good audiophile forum?

stephenb
22-05-2013, 07:13 PM
Starting to enjoy the search for some vintage audio gear and I was wondering if there are any audiophiles here who can recommend a good online discussion forum/board?

I've been lurking in audiokarma.org as a starter..

Cheers,
Stephen

rmuhlack
22-05-2013, 07:21 PM
I've found the discussion on g e a r s l u t z to be very helpful in the past. That forum is mainly focused on studio recording and pro audio, so the people there (are potentially more likely to) know their stuff.

www. g e a r s l u t z . com/board/

(have had to space it like that because of the auto censor on this forum. Remove the spaces and you should be right)

DavidU
22-05-2013, 07:33 PM
Stephen, as a professional tube amp designer/manufacturer most audiophile sites are full of wrong or misguided information.
There is some good info out there but it takes searching.

koputai
23-05-2013, 08:35 AM
Yeah, things like 'valves sound better' for example.

Sorry David, couldn't help it!

Cheers,
Jason.

Bassnut
23-05-2013, 04:57 PM
Before David bites your head off 'valves sound better' is a measurable fact, very especially with guitar amps :thumbsup:.

AndrewJ
23-05-2013, 07:31 PM
esp at 12000rpm :D
( or lower revs if attached to a "merlin" )

Andrew

stephenb
23-05-2013, 09:19 PM
Thanks for your replies. Yes the ol' valves vs. ss arguement :lol: I cannot speak for guitar and other music instruments but as an old audio technician I used to repair valve gear, including televisions - and often scrap them after the customer simply wanted to "update them". Such a shame these days.

Like many forums on the internet I take most info on board, some with a grain of salt, and make my own decision. I'm into vintage hifi these days since some of it holds it's value better than telescope gear.

Richard, I checked out your links - thanks for replying. :thumbsup:

David, I understand where you're coming from but throw me some links if you have them so I can check them out and confirm it for myself. All forums have their subjective members whom think they are always right and never wrong - including IIS.

Cheers,

Astro_Bot
24-05-2013, 12:56 AM
I used to occasionally visit www.stereo.net.au/forums/ but haven't looked there in ages. It might be worth perusing to see if it's worthwhile, though they do have some commercial sponsorship, IIRC.

clive milne
24-05-2013, 06:01 PM
audioasylum
bottlehead
prosoundweb
diyaudio

Terry B
24-05-2013, 09:33 PM
Valves, who needs them. This is my "vintage audio gear"
The volume is controlled by a sponge on a moveable wire in the middle of the horn.
:D:D:D:P:P:P

Steffen
25-05-2013, 12:30 AM
Who needs valves when you can have tubes ;)

Seriously though, in my very humble opinion, it's either tubes or mosfets if you like acoustic music. Bipolar transistors tend to mess with timing and produce distortions (overlaid harmonics) that are very different from real-world acoustic distortions, like sound waves diffracting around obstacles.

Then again, I love LS3/5a's, so take this for what it's worth ;)

Cheers
Steffen.