PDA

View Full Version here: : Flu

pgc hunter
22-05-2013, 03:48 AM
Woke up last Wednesday feeling like I've been beaten half to death, contracted both gastro and flu symptoms. Took 2 days off work, and still not 100%, with a bad cough, headaches and sore throat. Can't remember the last time I've been sick for a week straight, but these cold/flu symptoms just don't want to let go no matter how much pain killers and cold medicine I take.

Other people at work and my dad have gotten sick aswell. Looks like there is a virus doing the rounds, so watch out, if you get the first signs of sore throat and the like, nip it in the bud immediately.

Paul Haese
22-05-2013, 09:48 AM
I got a flu vaccine and ended up with periods of sweats at night and during the day. Go to bed each night and I end up in a pool of sweat. It was worse about a week ago but this is getting a bit tiresome now. Washed the bed sheets so often now I reckon we will wear out the thread. Not sure if I am going to get a flu vaccine again. I sometimes get reactions to the vaccine but this is the worst I have experienced.

That said though, I would rather this that getting the flu. So hang in there Sab, you are young and that usually means a quick recovery.

LewisM
22-05-2013, 10:07 AM
I still have symptoms of whatever incarnation was/is going around, and it's been 5 weeks for me so far - still have eustachian tube issues, occasional phlegm and general lethargy. Doctor gave me clarythromycin for the phlegm, as it seems bacterial rather than viral. Add to that giardia-like gastro issues, leads for a fun time. Dare not cough, else spray paint :)

Astro_Bot
22-05-2013, 10:34 AM
I still have the dregs of it after 6 weeks. It's not the most acute flu I've had (I rememer the '97 flu that floored me for a week) but it's one of the longest - it just doesn't want to go.

LewisM
22-05-2013, 10:43 AM
Yeah, really didn't knock me about, but persistent bastige! The clarythromycin keeps it at bay, but just long enough that you need to get a repeat prescription!

Where's Dr. McCoy when you need him.

avandonk
22-05-2013, 11:24 AM
I am NOT a medico! But ask your doctor for Relenza in the first couple of days and all flu symptoms will disappear.

The virus ruptures cells so the nasty bacteria can have a party.

Bert

asimov
22-05-2013, 11:44 AM
Haven't had a cold or flu in 6 yrs but then, I'm a hermit & stay clear of bug infested humans when I do have to go out..TOUCH is how you get it..More so than air-Bourne...

Get well soon dude.

Astro_Bot
22-05-2013, 11:57 AM
I didn't get the sweats until after I got the Anthrax vaccine (via military service) - that's a vaccine you truly don't want! Now, every time I get a heavy cold or flu, I get night sweats - maybe my body "learned" that response, or maybe it's coincidence? Anyway, I agree, it's damned annoying.

When that happens, I've found sleeping on a towel and wearing a T-shirt helps: wake up in sweat, change towel and T-shirt (keep a ready supply next to bed), and go right back to sleep.

Paul Haese
22-05-2013, 03:13 PM
Yep I have been doing just that. Towel under my head and a t-shirt. Hopefully this week it will be sorted though.

Some of the cocktails I had in the Army were pretty good. I found Typhoid and tetanus shots produced the most interesting results. The shakes and sweats with mild dizziness. Especially nice with a run involved to activate things. Being in an operational unit for much of my career I was shot up with everything known to man. This stuff though I would have though would not produce those sort of results. Maybe I just got a virus on top of the vaccine (probably just a reaction though).