Max Vondel
21-05-2013, 03:57 PM
Just got $20- off a 4.5mm Delos
Worth negotiating
Onya ...Mike
:D

tlgerdes
21-05-2013, 03:57 PM
Very possibly, you inadvertently triggered the price increase.

With the $$ dropping in that last 2 weeks, they could have repriced based on the replacement cost of the next order from the US.

Larryp
21-05-2013, 04:08 PM
Once the dollar started dropping, I rushed in and bought the rest of the gear I wanted last week. All imported stuff will go up now.

Profiler
21-05-2013, 04:10 PM
I noticed the price increase in the Naglers about Wednesday last week - so it wasn't that recent.

Max Vondel
21-05-2013, 05:00 PM
Not been watching the Naglers Profiler...
THX for the update

UniPol
21-05-2013, 05:03 PM
Yep, you could be paying over $1400 for the Nagler 31mm T5 grenade if we go back to 2003 exchange rates.

Max Vondel
21-05-2013, 06:21 PM
And effects in the secondary market....

Peter Ward
21-05-2013, 07:53 PM
The $AUD has dropped about 6% in under 2 weeks.

So much for the reserve bank's charter to stabilize the currency.:rolleyes:

Bintel, like all other importers, have to either cut their margin by 6%...unlikely as most US suppliers only offer a slim margin....or up the price.

I'd suggest, if you had a nice piece of kit in mind with "made in USA" on the label, you'd probably want to get it now.

UniPol
21-05-2013, 08:07 PM
Well, the dollar could rise again.

FlashDrive
21-05-2013, 08:22 PM
In other words....' How to loose customers ' in one easy price rise.

IMHO....current in store stock should remain at previous prices....then increase as necessary as new stock arrives at the dearer import costs.
That is being ' honest ' ...instead of ' ripping off ' customers for the sake of making ' bigger profits '

Please don't come back with.....but that's business ....that doesn't ' wash ' with me.....either you want to keep your customer base or you don't.

Maybe I'm ' old school ' when it comes to being honest....but that's just me.

Flash........

Peter Ward
21-05-2013, 08:25 PM
Last time I thought that...it fell to $US 0.47

So what are your thoughts on this year's Melbourne cup winner :)

Peter Ward
21-05-2013, 08:41 PM
Mike Smith (aka Bintel) is a tough competitor for sure, but I have never seen him as a "rip-off" merchant.

In fact, I recently drove down to OPT, and purchased a barlow, only to discover I could have driven to Glebe and got it off Mike for
about $20 less that the over-the-counter price in the USA....hire-car cost not included.

With a floating..and volatile $AUD, keeping a lot of stock is not a great idea IMHO....particularly with juggernauts like OPT who through sheer volume can operate on slim margins ...but might also go broke (RIP: ScopeCity, Orion, Spectra et. al. ) at the drop of a hat.

But if you are dropping four figures (or more) on a scope/camera/whatever
I personally think the consumer protection we get in Oz is worth a few percent.

Larryp
21-05-2013, 08:45 PM
I agree, Peter. I have always found Mikes prices, particularly on Televue stuff, to be totally competitive with U.S. prices.

Allan
21-05-2013, 08:52 PM
Actually, it's a TeleVue price adjustment, as every dealer in the US has increased their price by a similar amount. So, nothing to do with BINTEL or the Aussie dollar. But if the dollar keeps heading south it could get ugly.

Hans Tucker
21-05-2013, 08:56 PM
Another way is having a vendor quote a price higher than what is advertised on the vendors website and dare question why. I did that...and lets just say I don't think I am a valued customer anymore :D...real shame to as I am in the market for a new scope.

UniPol
21-05-2013, 09:12 PM
Shock horror, hang onto your TV EP's & AP scopes folks, they could be worth a fortune when the Ozzie dollar falls, well, that's if anyone can afford them.

astroron
21-05-2013, 09:24 PM
I have always had great service from Mike and the boys and Girl at Bintel.
My last purchase of the 3.5mm Nagler was cheaper than from the states and got free postage to boot.:D
If you can do better at another company than Bintel then take your business to them.
No complaints about Bintel from me a customer for over twenty years :)
Cheers:thumbsup:

Peter Ward
21-05-2013, 09:25 PM
Well....:doh: yes *any* commodity if priced in $US can, *and has previously*, got very expensive when the pacific peso (aka $AUD) has plummeted by 20-30% in a matter of weeks.

OICURMT
21-05-2013, 09:25 PM
Should I assume you took the same philosophical stance when the OZ was rising against the greenback? :question:

Just curious.. :poke:

OIC!:D

wavelandscott
22-05-2013, 06:41 AM
In a twist, I had been considering buying TV goods from Bintel and have them ship them back to the USA to me.

Their pricing has been pretty sharp (at least from my perspective)...

Since I have an ANZ bank account and since it is a sale leaving the country I can get the GST back...before the recent currency movements by my math I was a couple of bucks to the good in doing it this way...especially as most of the AUD$ were converted from USD$ when the exchange rate was the other way around...

I since I saw a couple of the Bintel guys at NEAF I could have had them deliver the stuff too!

If only I had bought a house at .47 exchange rate...

tlgerdes
22-05-2013, 07:57 AM
I was going to suggest the same thing, rising dollar = cheaper imports, replacement cost is cheaper, do you lose money on the stock you have on the shelf?

There is often a crossover point, and if they are just about our of stock and have placed the order for new, what do they do? They aren't a Harvey Norman or JB HiFi, they trade on their experience and customer service, they want you to be a repeat customer, they aren't going to deliberately rip any one off.

Shano592
22-05-2013, 11:50 AM
I have dealt with Bintel for almost all of my gear.

The wealth of knowledge and experience they have there - just in Don's head alone - is priceless.

I have never found their prices to be over the odds against anyone.

I agree with what Peter Ward says - the extra couple of percent is definitely worth knowing that you have the AU warranty in your pocket.

FlashDrive
22-05-2013, 04:59 PM
Gee...I did get a few ' bites ' didn't I....:shrug:

My point was ... and still is....If you rang me for a new ' eyepiece ' and I had some in stock....I would say to you.

" I have a few at the lower price....I suggest you grab it as new stock coming in will face a ' price rise ' ....."

Do you get it ....or not...

BTW.....nothing wrong with Bintel....if I am after a particular item....I am prepared to pay for it.....I've handed over thousands to Mike and we get on well.

Flash :D

FlashDrive
22-05-2013, 05:01 PM
Hey curious......read my comment below.....it's pretty straight forward.... and I'm not trying to be smart....:D

Flash .....:poke:

tlgerdes
22-05-2013, 07:12 PM
You obviously used good bait :lol: