PDA

View Full Version here: : Which tripod for Paramount MX?

Whitey
20-05-2013, 10:20 PM
The older threads all seem to recommend the Rob Miller tripods rather than the factory one. But Rob still seems to be AWOL.

I saw an old comment in the classifieds here about using a Meade heavy field tripod.

Other than that, can't find much information on the interwebs.

So...just stick to the Paramount pyramid tripod at $2000-plus?

Or....? What are my options? Is there another tripod that will be equally sturdy for astrophotography with the PMX, and which can be made to fit.

Thanks!

Logieberra
20-05-2013, 10:55 PM
Rob, I took a different route. I sourced a used Astrophysics portable pier for their 900GTO, took it the local machine shop and ask them to fashion an ally puck with threaded holes to suit the 4 x MX threaded base bolts. Works a treat, solid as and much cheaper than the MX/Miller variety. Good luck with it.

Logieberra
20-05-2013, 11:05 PM
Also came across this: http://www.iceinspace.com.au/forum/showthread.php?t=104385

Looks sturdy and is nice and low to the ground (the SB pier is also made short for this reason). Plenty of options out there if you need to keep costs down and if you're willing to modify existing gear to suit.

cfranks
21-05-2013, 01:59 PM
I have a Losmandy G11, bought before my MX and the tripod will be used if I ever go mobile with the MX. They are very sturdy and should be available separately from Losmandy.com.
Charles

rat156
21-05-2013, 02:25 PM
I was going to try to get some made locally. Instead I adapted a surveyors' tripod from one of those All-tools type shops. I haven't had a chance to try it out in the field yet though.

Cheers
Stuart

UniPol
22-05-2013, 10:26 AM
I also purchased a used AP portable pier like Logan even though I have the PMX "pyramid" (tripod). The AP pier is very light but extremly stable and will be used in my home observatory when I get around to building it. The only drawback I can see with the AP pier is that it is really only suited to flattish ground because the feet don't have adjustable screw pads. I am in the process of machining up an adaptor for the 8" diameter tube which is being made from an 8 1/2 " dia x 1" thick slice of aircraft grade aluminium and a 9" x 9" x 3/4" plate of the same material.

Logieberra
27-05-2013, 07:25 PM
Just saw this. These AP piers are darn strong, but will require some sort of top plate. http://www.iceinspace.com.au/forum/showthread.php?t=107792