PDA

View Full Version here: : SE Melbourne - door knock scam?

goober
20-05-2013, 03:14 PM
Just a heads up - middle aged lady knocks on our door in the Oakleigh area yesterday, very well dressed, speaking with an eastern European accent.

She started telling me about a friend in Adelaide who has lost her granddaughter, and she needed money for an air fare to get to Adelaide to be with her.

I basically said "Sorry" and closed the door on her before she had spoken for 15 seconds. It felt phoney to me.

I watched (and listened) as she went next door - she spent 15 minutes there and did get money.

It may have been legit, but it's a first for me. We're door knocked all the time, and have gotten pretty thick skinned about it.

PCH
20-05-2013, 03:41 PM
Crikey,

it always surprises me why people give these dudes money. Are people too scared to say 'no' or what. I mean who cares if she knows someone in Adelaide who's lost her daughter. You did well to last 15 seconds Doug, that's about 14 more than she would have got from me - lol

tlgerdes
20-05-2013, 11:30 PM
Come on, it took him 15 secs to unlock and relock the door :lol:

Ric
21-05-2013, 12:54 PM
I had a phone scammer ring the other day.

They said they were from the "Federal Dept of Government Finances" :question:

Apparently I am owed $5250 because of extra Govt charges when I use my credit card.

I'm claiming a new personal best, I was able to keep them on the phone for 27 minutes before they twigged to me, abused me for wasting their time and hung up. :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

I love it.

Stardrifter_WA
21-05-2013, 01:38 PM
I think you pretty much hit the nail on the head Paul. Most people don't like saying no, particularly when given a sob story, as to say 'no' may mean you are uncaring, and nobody likes to think that people may see them that way. Personally, I don't give a toss what people think of me, so it is easy for me to say no. Even in shopping centres, collectors try to guilt you into giving, but I still so no. I just don't like being badgered into giving.

I always say 'no', even to those collecting for charities etc. I have even been accused as being uncaring, obviously as a bullying tactic, but I just respond that my donations are given directly, which they are. After all, I have no real way of knowing if someone is genuine or not. ID's can be easily faked using photoshop, etc. In fact, we were recently warned, in our local rag, about bogus charity collectors. Anyone can put a badge on and rattle a tin, doesn't mean that they are genuine, which really sucks for the ones that are. :sadeyes:

But, it is a numbers game anyway. Ask enough people and you will get the response you expect.

Problem is that scammers are getting more and more sophisticated. So, when it comes to money, I believe nothing until I have verified it thoroughly, and even then some a getting really smart. I don't even respond to surveys. How do I know they are genuine and not just trying to collect info on me to steal my identity, which happens all too often.

But then, maybe I am just too cynical and have never been very trusting; after all, that is something that has to be earned anyway, and not given freely, in my view. Maybe I am even a little paranoid too, which is probably why I have never been scammed. For instance, I never put anything in the rubbish that has my name, or other identifiers, on it, as I shred everything personal, and with a cross schedder too.

goober
21-05-2013, 03:29 PM
I'm hit up all the time in the city, on trains, etc. Having one at your front door was a new one to me, hence the 15 seconds ...

Baddad
21-05-2013, 04:44 PM
Ric! You are a bad man.:)

That scammer is doing his best to earn a dis-honest living. You take up all of his time and give him nothing.:)

You have set the benchmark, 27mins. I have watched a friend of mine do similar. I never timed it. I never get those calls myself.

Did he give you any abuse like some new words?

Well done Ric. As he wastes time with you he has less for real victims.
Cheers

ZeroID
21-05-2013, 07:48 PM
I managed to leave a phone caller online stuck next to the TV speaker for 20 mins once. Picked it up every 5 mins or so and said " Hang on, nearly there " till they gave up.

Me 1, them 0 :thumbsup:

Normally they just get a choice travel recommendation and a 'click' as the phone goes down.

Ric
22-05-2013, 03:01 AM
Hi Marty

No new words, just the same old unrepeatable ones.